Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summersunlight

Calandiva Kalanchoe rebloom

summersunlight
9 years ago

I bought this as a compact little floriferous cutie in a 2" pot at Trader Joe's last winter. After it stopped blooming, I transferred it from soil to hydrocorn and stuck it in a window where it only received natural light. It seems that the short days of winter inspired it to re-bloom even though I wasn't trying particularly hard to rebloom it. I suspect that the results would have been better in stronger light and with some added fertilizer, but for right now I am satisfied with just knowing that:

1. Kalanchoes, like many other succulents, actually do grow nicely in hydroculture even though it seems counter-intuitive.
2. You can enjoy rebloom from Kalanchoes without much effort. I don't know why so many people consider them "disposable"!

Comments (20)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, and great job!

9 years ago

Surprised there weren't more comments. I have about a dozen Kalanchoes & the Blossfeldianas are definitely the most thirsty. There's at least 10 more that are very high on my wish list.

I get bummed too when I hear about these being treated kind of like Poinsettias, disposable, seasonal. IDK where this reputation comes from, it's one of my least demanding plants & most fun to propagate. I think there may be 2 primary factors. The first being that house plants are (until recently anyway,) almost strictly entities from moist, shady areas. Folks used to those might not understand the different preferences of a Kalanchoe, more light, less water (without the hydro you mentioned as part of the equation.) Second, when they stop blooming, a lot of people may think they are dying.

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm in my little rebloom even if nobody else is interested. :-D

You're probably right that a lot of people may not realize how easy it actually is to keep a kalanchoe. Especially since they often are not potted in properly draining soil when people get them, so I imagine a lot of people end up overwatering them.

I personally feel that one of the fun parts about growing plants is to see the progress the plant makes in growing over time, so I never purchase plants with the intention of throwing them away.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

The flowers on your kalanchoe are just beautiful! I don't know anything about this plant. I have had two of them and after they were done blooming, they didn't seem to last long. I'm sure I must have watered them too much because I didn't know it was a succulent. The last one I had came from an arrangement for a funeral. I replanted it in miracle grow potting soil and watered it pretty good. That was probably all wrong. I must learn to investigate new plants before assuming what they need. Thanks for your post.

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the only kalanchoe I have ever grown but based on my experience I'd say that it is definitely a plant that prefers neglect rather than "too much love". :)

• jpciii
    9 years ago

I've read that if you can provide them with complete darkness for approximately 16 hours every night, that will encourage them to bloom like crazy. Commercial growers cover them with a black cloth each night in the greenhouse. That's why the ones at the store have tons and tons of blooms all over them. Street lights and household lights at night can be enough to stunt their bloom output.

• Saurabh Singh
    9 years ago

jpciii is right, provide them complete darkness of atleast 12-14 hours a day, and they will bloom, its just that you are tricking your plant to bloom on demand.

9 years ago

I just put mine as close to an E/S/W window as possible during winter. That seems to do it, unless the 'Calandiva' cultivar is quite diff from the plain species. I have a bunch of regular K. blossfeldiana plants, but haven't yet found a Cal for sale.

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Nice!

I've always wanted to try growing kalanchoe but I don't have any room anymore. They seem to be everywhere though, individually and in those easter/Christmas plant basket things.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

I keep mine in the bathroom along with the Christmas/Easter/thanksgiving

Cactus. They are in a window, protected from artificial light. Bring them out when in bloom. The cactus bloom off and on all year. The kalanchoes bloom almost all the time.

The kalanchoe (mother of thousands?) goes outside and gets watered, whenever, they come in just before frost an proceed to bloom like crazy.

2 to 3 foot tall blooms.

• GreenLarry
    9 years ago

Those Mother of Thousands types are all called Bryophyllum now

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Greenlarry: Yes, my understanding is that Calandiva is a variation of the typical blossfeldiana. It seems to behave the same except for having double flowers.

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Purpleinopp: I am surprised you don't have these kalanchoes around you. If you want to discuss a possible trade let me know.

8 years ago

TY. ;) There's not much around where I live at all, rural area.

• petrushka (7b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

to OP,

it is Kalanchoe blossfeldiana 'Calandiva White' - i have one just like that. and i keep it next to my thaxgiving cactus - it has the same light requirements (similar to poinsettia). it needs short days for rebloom and dark longish nights. i keep it in west window and the room is dark at night. it rebloomed for me nicely (and is still going in fact).

so far it's been indoors only. and i think it can stay indoors and bloom too (just like my xgiving cactus). but i want to put it outside to see if it grows bigger leaves. i trimmed it and new foliage is good , but small. i am feeding it too with balanced fertilizer . i am wondering how they manage to produce incredibly thick blooms and giant leaves - it must be growth hormones or smth? my blooms are ok, but not anywhere as thick as when i bought it.

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think you're probably on to something with the growth hormones thing.

• GreenLarry
    8 years ago

These are southern hemisphere plants hence the flowering issue

8 years ago

Larry, in the N hemisphere, things work the same, just opposite (regarding time of year.)

Josephene, K. blossfeldiana doesn't make leaf-edge babies, so wouldn't be referred to as a "mother of" plant. It also doesn't make the tall bloom stalks you describe. If yours is doing that, it's a diff species.

K. blossfeldiana blooms are photoperiodic, and happen annually. Here's info used by commercial growers:
    "Kalanchoes can be manipulated to flower on a specific finish date, 52
    weeks of the year much like pot mums. Kalanchoes are qualitative
    short-day plants for
    flowering with a critical photoperiod of 12� hours depending on the
    cultivar. However, more rapid floral initiation occurs using a 10-hour
    photoperiod
    (optimum critical photoperiod); the daylength most often used
    commercially. Some Kalanchoe cultivar can minimally initiate flowers
    with as few as two
    consecutive short days; however, as the number of consecutive short days
    increases, the number of flowers initiated increases exponentially up
    to 14 to 21 short