Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Chlorophytum Comosum - Spider plant question

lme5573
10 years ago

At my DIL's house, noticed a large spider plant dying in a dark corner of her living room. I asked if I could take one of the babies, and I did.
When I got home, I realized the new one is the reverse of the one I have - mine has a white stripe down the middle and the baby has a green stripe down the middle. How exciting!
I've not had huge success with spider plants, and am not sure of the best way to root a plantlet that's been removed from the mother plant.
I'm inclined to lay it on top of soil in a pot and mist occasionally, but I'm not sure if that will work.
I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Lennie in Michigan
I can take a picture tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

lme5573,
    I have had most success with water rooting. Once it grows enough roots, I pot it in soil and stick it outdoors for the warm months of the year. It will bust the pot before you know it. :)

Some do say that water roots are not as "strong" as soil grown roots, but I've never had an issue with transferring a water grown spider plant to soil. They are pretty hardy and they love it outside (if you can put them outside when it gets warm). Not direct sun, but not too shady either. Not to say you can't grow it indoors, it is a house plant after all, but I've had more growth outdoors with mine than indoors.

I hope this helps.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 19:36

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Ime5573 you have found a Chlorophytum comosum 'Variegatum' which is the one with the green stripe in the centre. The commoner one is C comosum âÂÂVittatum'' with the cream stripe in the centre. I was also excited when I first saw one of these in a Bed and Breakfast I was staying at. I got a baby from them and now have a big specimen with babies of its own. They are easy to grow. Just as easy as the usual version. Here it is on my kitchen windowsill when it was younger. Don't know who stuck the pencil in there!

BTW, personally I'd root it straight into in potting medium, not bothering with the water step, but that will work too. Are there already root nodules or roots showing? If not it will be harder to root.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Fantastic Begonias, Flora!! The others look great too, nice window!

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Planto and Flora. I'm in Michigan and my plant room is chilly, so I'm opting to root the plant in soil as opposed to water. If it were summer, I might try water, but it's just too cold here.
    This picture shows the baby next to a leaf of my original spider plant. I think I can see a little root, so I hope it takes off. When I picked the baby, I didn't think to look at the roots, I just looked at the leaves and tried to get the biggest one. Now I know.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got it propped in a 2 1/2" plastic pot, 50/50 potting soil and perlite. I have put in a wick (acrylic yarn) so I can keep the soil moist and not disturb the roots by top watering. I have it in my plant stand, and it's already greener because of stronger light.
    I should take a few more before my DIL's plant croaks, just to be on the safe side. I'll ask my son to bring me two more. LOL.

Lennie in Grand Rapids - talking rain tomorrow - what a mess!

10 years ago

It looks very promising to me! There may be some seeds on the stem piece, can't see for sure. Eventually that stem piece will shrivel up though I'd probably leave it until the leaves plump back up at least. It does have some moisture to share with the baby it's still attached to.

Misting around the top can put a little moisture where the roots are trying to form w/o soaking the pot. You can know it's not soggy that way.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you are right, they do look like seeds to me. Do spiders self pollinate? Do you think they would be viable? They look brown and dry, I'll have to google and see how to handle seeds on a spider plant. A mid-winter project to chase away the gray skies here in Michigan. Just what I needed!
    Lennie

10 years ago

If the outer husk is brown, they're as ripe as they can get. (Check other stems too?) They should be black, disc-like, kind of folded looking. Many people get them to sprout, though I never have. Good luck if you find some!

They are not self-sterile, so one plant can produce seeds. Was your plant outside when it made flowers?

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's in the house, but it was recently moved to a new window. On closer inspection, I'm not sure if the husks are dark brown, or green. I'll give it some more time and keep an eye on them. That would be so cool if I could get some seeds. Thanks!