Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
draecena marginata roots visible on surface

Posted by sevrel (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 18:39

Hi all. Tried to post a message here before but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I recently purchased a marginata which I watered for the first time over the weekend. I was told to water heavily and let it drain, which is what I did. Afterwards, though, I noticed a tangled network of thin roots visible on the surface. It looks like a lot of roots are now exposed. Is this normal or something I need to be concerned about? I was told the plant would not need to be repotted for a couple of years but do have a larger pot available if anyone thinks repotting advisable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: draecena marginata roots visible on surface

Maybe just add a layer of soil on top, if you can, to cover up those roots. If there are roots sticking out of the bottom of the container, then it's probably time for a bigger pot.

o
RE: draecena marginata roots visible on surface

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 15:14

Roots on the surface are not a problem, unless they signify there is no more room in soil below for roots to colonize. As roots close to the stem age and grow, they change function from roots that gather water and dissolved nutrients, to roots that support the plant (anchor/prop roots) and roots that serve as plumbing (water/ nutrient transport to the top of the plant and photosynthate/ other biocomponnds from the top to roots. It's a normal part of the aging process.

Your plant needs repotting (different than potting up) when the root/ soil mass reaches the point where it can be lifted from the pot intact. If you pot up BEFORE your plant gets to that point, there is no need to repot, but once the roots congestion reaches that point where roots/soil can be removed from the pot in a solid mass, potting up ensures your plant will be limited by root congestion until you fix it. That said, it's better to wait until summer to repot, and to put your plant on a schedule that sees it getting repotted every 1st, 2nd, or 3rd summer at the longest.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here