Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini aralias?

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 18:57

Are there any truly mini (6 to 8 inches or super slow growing) members of the aralia family or similar looking plants ya'll might know of for a terrarium?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini aralias?

Paul, your thread has gone unanswered for some time.
I Googled Aralias, mini, dwarf, but the closest answer, related to your question was growing Ming Alalias in small/bonsai pots.
Depending on your terrarium size and shape, you can place a Ming in a small container, then set, pot and all, under bottom material.

It doesn't mean there's no such thing as a mini Aralia, but not only did I Google, I also went through several plant books, came up empty-handed.

Mings are slow-growing..if you started with a small specimen, it'd take a couple/few years before it needed a larger container.
What size is your terrarium? Height?

Check out blackjungle for terrarium plants; they have some true beauty's. In fact, they specialize in terrarium plants. Toni

o
RE: mini aralias?

Thanks, Toni! I had noticed no one had any epiphanies so figured that there likely is no such beast. Pity.

The terr in question is a 55 gal. While I had read that mings are slow growing, I have had experiences with other "slow growers" that when put in a terr grew like they were on steroids (had an AV that grew from a 5inch diameter to be a foot in diameter in just a couple years before I finally ripped it out and rehomed it). Wanted to avoid the disappointment of having another plant go on an undesireable wild growth spurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here