Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caro123_gw

The Lady bugs!

carola_gw(Z3NH)
10 years ago

If you live in NH you prob. know what I mean.A few years back the state imported a few and they seem to overwinter in the house occ.Like on the windowsills. I am actually looking at one right now meandering around my houseplants. I am kinda tending to look at it as a good bug and leave it alone. Any other thoughts?

Comments (13)

• dbarron
    10 years ago

In my experience (which was just once), the ones that seek shelter in the house end up dying before spring...so not much point tolerating it (imo), if it bugs you.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I understand they eat scale insect.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not "bugging" me.LOL in fact I hope it finds something I might not see. I want to make sure they weren't at all harmful to inside plants which I don't as far as I know think so.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

They are carnivores,so the plants are safe.

Dbarron is right though about the likelihood that your new friend kicking the bucket on you. Yes it may be warm inside but where's the water? Unless you happen to be one of those who really enjoy misting the plants every day,dehydration spells the end pretty quick.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm misting ok-a couple of times a day- Its on the plants under my aerogrow lights- I have 4 catts. and 3 af"s under the catt leaves plus a Fibrous begonia and an alocasia(new) on the edges. Had to take them off the sills-too cold.Not using the system as a hydro -just for the lights.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

If ladybugs are getting inside, so can other things. And your heat leaks out as the cold air moves inside. Ladybugs inside the house is a clear indication that your home is not tight.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo,
    It's definately not tight- big old N.E.House. Unfortunately I can"t afford to tighten it up.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

The shrink wrap on the windows thing is pretty effective(doing a world of good in my bedroom).

As to misting,I have seen two camps around here...those who do and those who don't,and the latter suggest that it isn't doing any good in the way that we think it does. As it turns out,my spray bottle broke last summer and I've been too much of a slug to get a new one. No misting so far all winter and I'm happy to say that not one plant seems to have suffered for it.

Of course if a ladybug were to find it's way in here it would be doomed.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep-
    LOL- I know the shrinkwrap thing-If I had my druthers the whole place would be wrapped in it -or even better under some kind of dome. Anyhow the option would be to put it outside or let it meander and kill what it can while it is still living.Think I'll just leave it alone.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Ah yes! The hands free no muss no fuss approach. Probably your best bet! ;)

Oh no...ya HAD to mention the dome.

One of my favorite daydreams that one.

If only! :)

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Know exactly what you mean -My dream house would be some kind of circular thing with a dome over an inner garden in the middle. How to heat it ??? Well if I won the lottery I probably wouldn't care but some kind of solar thing I would guess.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well we are straying way off topic here,but...it IS your thread sooooo...

Here's the daydream in a bit more detail. The geodesic dome would be a greenhouse naturally,and within it would be a banyan grove with all the trimmings. The actual living quarters would be below ground. The water feature would have windows looking into it from the subterranean rooms like a polar bear exhibit at the zoo,and it would be chock full of tropical fish and all manner of aquatic plants placed just so(While wearing an aqualung or snorkeling). Topside there would be catwalks running up into the trees connecting a series of observation decks. The heating would be geothermal. :)

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL- sounds great-you've put a lot of thought into yours.Aside from the scuba gear you'll probably need tree climbing equipment also. Can't you just picture tons of blooming orchids hanging off the trees.Oh well-rather then let the dreary winter depress us it's fun to imagine the perfect conditions we'd like.
    I was just going to do a waterfall and have the dome be able to be opened so the hummers and butterflies could hang around.