Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

bulk flower pots

ymaddox
12 years ago

am looking for bulk plastic flower pots with saucer trays to start desert rose...anyone know of any good places?

Comments (15)

• Lamora
    12 years ago

I always end up in Home Depot for mine, cant seem to find the saucers that attach to the pot anymore tho, but they do have them. Cheap enough for me anyway. ;)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

... saucers need to be attached?

Al

12 years ago

oh - about how many does 'bulk' mean?

Al

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no saucers dont have to be attached but must be there...my carpet does'nt water well, and my husband will tell you i try to do it every single time i water my plants lol. I am thinking if i go through enough carpets i will get my greenhouse soon...my lil secret :)

okay bulk means that i am retarded and ordered 300 adenium rose seed...i know they dont come true to seed but i just wanted to try. So i need bulk cheap. I would like to grow and sell.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

What size are you wanting? Since you said you wanted these to 'start' your desert rose, I wonder if simple plastic cell packs and some flats would be useful to you. The cell inserts come in a variety of sizes and the flats are available without holes.

12 years ago

I would start in a very fast soil in 1 or 2 flat bottom flats or several half-flats (easier to handle when full of moist soil) w/o holes & tilt the flat so that gravity directs the water to 1 drain hole in the corner (or 2, if you like). Better yet, buy extra flats (really inexpensive) and nest them so the bottom is the collection tray/saucer. Set the top one on top of supports you'll leave in the bottom to keep the soil out of the effluent. A dome would prolly be helpful, too.

Copy paste to browser for flats: http://homeharvest.com/propagationflatsdomesinserts.htm

They (the plants) are no problem at all to lift from the flat & repot as they gain some size after germinating. Again, a fast soil in a 3.5 - 4.5" pot is about right. ($.19 -.27 - for pots)
    Copy/paste to browser: http://homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic.htm

I bought a package of 10 seeds this past summer. I started them outdoors in full sun, in a very shallow terra cotta saucer with the gritty mix in it. I scattered the seeds on top of the soil, then covered them with Turface fines, and misted the saucer twice daily to keep things moist. I got 6 plants from the 10 seeds. I'm guessing that's a pretty good %. I fertilized with the FP 9-3-6. I kept 2 plants with short internodes & gave the rest away. One has a stem caliper of about 1.25 inch and the other about 1", so they have grown very well. Also, I've done some pruning on them to shape them to my purposes, so the trunk caliper could have been greater with the additional energy input from the foliage I pruned.

Al

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was actually looking for a cute plastic pot so when I sold them they could just take home and sit where they want it. Was some cute ones at dollar tree but no holes and no saucers available. But the amount I needed would cost a fortune.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was actually looking for a cute plastic pot so when I sold them they could just take home and sit where they want it. Was some cute ones at dollar tree but no holes and no saucers available. But the amount I needed would cost a fortune.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Ymaddox,

Have you checked your local nursery?

I have seen them throw out manys stacks of plastic pots along with many black plastic pots i like to use for seedlings. You could also check with a local landscaper that plants for commercial gardens. I bet you will find lots of cheap plastic pots!! : ) They will probably give them to you. My local nursery tell me to take what i want!!!

Good luck!!

Laura

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i was hoping to find my own source. but if cant find anything else will use the nursery pots i have...i save them all...and go from there. Lowes and I are best friends during the summer when they have their clearance racks :). Then i guess whomever can buy a pot of their choice to put their new desert rose in.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Ymaddox. I agree, sowing seeds in available pots is a good idea.

Ademiums are usually potted in pastic or clay. It'd be ashame you spend money for an ornate container, only to have a buyer toss it.

Have you ever sown Adenium seeds before? Toni

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nope i have only gotten into more tropicals here lately...caught my eye and i was off and running. clivia, plumeria, adenium, amaryllis.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Y, I see. You chose interesting plants to sow.

You probably know Adeniums are succulent.
    Patience is the key.

I've sowed Desert Rose. Growth is a little slow at first, but after germination, they really take off.
    Of course, location makes a difference.
    In countries such as Thailand, Adeniums grow fairly fast. Like weeds. Do you plan on grafting?

One of my Clivias was sown from seed in 1982. The Clivia is now a monster. The poor plant really should be divided, but when flowers cover the tops, I feel guilty even considering doing so. lol

Not to sound like the voice of doom...Clivias take time to flower when grown from seed and divisions, however, it's worth the wait. Which species did you choose? Color of flowers?

Plumeria..I too plan on rooting an un-rooted Plumeria cutting soon. The cutting came from HI.
    If you need help, the Plumeria forum is filled with expert growers..They're plants are amazing.

Amaryllis are the speediest growers of all four plants you mentioned.
    Their huge, beautiful and colorful flowers do wonders to a room decorated for Christmas.

Good luck..BTW, you'll feel a bond with a plant you started from a seed. Toni

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

someone sent me clivia starts not sure what kind lol
    {{gwi:71148}}
    note the crappy soil

{{gwi:71149}}

{{gwi:71150}}

dont remember if these are amaryllis or plumeria guess time will tell...they are in non draining pots lol a definate no no but we will see lol.

half my flower gardens i started from seed and wintersowing and i do so for my veggies to...so glad to have that forum i have learned so much there. I do pretty good growing flowers in this house. the house before my houseplants did not do as well. maybe this is where the good lord wants us so he makes sure i grow nice houseplants in the crappiest conditions lol. any advice on growing tropicals would be greatly appreciated.

i did know desert rose was a succulent but i also read they like water pretty well, what have you found to be true?

actually i could not stand it anymore and just threw the seeds of the above pictures in something to see what they would do lol patience is not my best quality but i dont dare pray for it cause i know the result of that lol...i just learn as i go :)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

>Google>shopping>wholesale flower pots - has a few thousand. They don't look inexpensive to me, some appear quite atractive. I didn't read any of the specific ghits. Several were from a site called wholesale.com.