Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlekirstenjr

Non blooming euphorbia milii

littlekirstenjr
10 years ago

Hi all,

Just curious, I bought a euphorbia milii (crown of thorns) about three+ months ago with nice red blooms on it. Once I got my hands on it, the blooms disappeared and haven't been seen since. It is now an indoor plant. I hear some euphorbia miliis bloom close to year round, so I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to help it bloom again. Thanks in advance!

Littlekirstenjr

Comments (15)

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

littlekirstenjr, I cannot recall seeing a 'crown of thorns' blooming in a truly indoor environment.
    They do well in well-lit atriums and shaded sidewalks; I suspect that it has to do with light intensity.

• User
    10 years ago

Of course they will bloom indoors, but you need sun! Do you have sun?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I have two...one with large leaves, and one with small leaves. The large-leafed milii is not blooming; the small-leafed is.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,

There's been a couple of threads about this pretty recently. I've commented on several & shared tips. Sorry I don't how how to provide links to them, but I believe the last discussion was with someone named Danielle & referred to COT in the title.

I've got 5 now I think, 2 in bloom now, here's one now.

Rona, this small plant blooms in a west window in NYC, pretty Indoor to me.

{{gwi:71202}}

• littlekirstenjr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for they replies. Yes, the plant is in a south facing window and gets all day sun from morning to sunset. Perhaps there simply might not be enough hours of daylight in the winter? I'm not sure what else.

It seems relatively happy and healthy with new growth appearing in several parts of the plant. Just hasn't bloomed for months. See below.

Thanks pirate_girl. I'll take a look at your posts.

• keylyn
    10 years ago

here's mine.
    pot size is about 3 inches in diameter, medium is coarse builder's sand with pumice and about .5 grams of osmocote plus added.
    the little guy gets full sun everyday.

i usually forget the plant and it stays bone dry for weeks but it's always full of cythea.
    {{gwi:71205}}
    {{gwi:71208}}

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Kirsten,

Turns out my prior post to which I'm referring is at the Cactus & Succulent site (next door, sort of, if you see top of this page). I can't quite tell what the mix is (looks rather peaty).

Am guessing (as in the post to which I'm referring), it wants more water (see the other post for explanation of why this is & would be OK). You'd probably need to change that mix too (to much more fast draining) to be able to water more.

Hey Keylyn,

Quite a bunch of blooms you've got there! Was thinking you'd be either in FL or CA given how tropical that growth looks -- I see you're in Australia, no wonder such lush growth, nice growing! Interesting markings on those buds, I haven't seen that before.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

I have a red (bloom color) one & a smaller, white one ('Apache'?) sitting on a very cold (in winter - heat turned down to 50 at night) window sill in front of east-facing tinted windows that only allow 47% light transmission. They both have blooms now and throughout the rest of the growth cycle, though the white one is much more generous in offering up its blooms.

I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to help it bloom again. Don't be tempted to use a 'bloom booster' fertilizer, or any fertilizer with a higher P (middle number) content than either the first or third number. IOW - there should be more N and K than P. Make sure you're using a soil you can water until past the point of total soil saturation whenever you water, w/o having to worry about root rot or impaired root function. Plenty of light and warmth is what they like best, but you can see by what I offered above that they really aren't all that fussy, as long as you don't over-water.

BTW - most people are mildly to severely allergic to the toxic sap. I'm in the middle, but I can count on blisters like you get from poison ivy and lots of itchiness if I don't get the sap off immediately. I cut these plants back regularly - they look much nicer in a bush form, in my estimation.

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

This one keeps blooming, nonstop...red flowers in summer:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

same plant after being inside for couple of months - I like the colors here:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

and again this fall, still blooming the same even now. Planning on cutting it back as Al mentioned, to - hopefully - get a bush. I wonder if it stops blooming after being cut.
    Rina

10 years ago

Nice!
    I plan on whacking my E. milii, too.

Josh

• littlekirstenjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While not as impressive as many of the ones already featured-- my little guy has started blooming Thought I'd share and update!

Lil K jr

9 years ago

It looks wonderful! Congrats! :-)

Josh

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Looks pretty impressive from here, am happy for you. Nice work, Enjoy!