Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade Plant

Posted by irishmus54 HI 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 19:44

Just wondering why the leaves on the plant are all shrivelling up, to much water or not enough? Thanks Aloha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade Plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 22:25

Either condition impairs water movement to leaves & thus a drought response. If your soil is continually moist, you can rule out under-watering. also possible is a high level of soluble salts in the soil, did you fertilize recently

How long since the last repot? since you last fertilized? with what and at what strength? When you water, do you water so at least 10-20% of the total volume applied exits the drain hole? There is a drain hole?

Al

o

Yes, wilting of jade can be caused by a number of things, as Al has pointed out. I think that many people tend to be too cautious when it comes to watering their succulent plants and administer little sips for fear of causing problems. It's important that the whole soil volume gets a good soaking on watering day.

I emphasize this because, in my experience with people worried about their wilting jade (or other succulents), the problem is very often caused by those little sips that allow dry sections to form within the soil mass.

Read Al's post carefully and you can be your own detective. Let us know what you think.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 2:25

Thanks, Dori. Great point about watering succulents. Most growers also erroneously believe that because succulents are well-adapted to 'tolerate' drought conditions, that they should be left to go dry between waterings. Ideally, we would water our succulents just before drought stress sets in, which means there would still be some moisture in the soil.

Al

o

In my experience, I can tell you that wrinkeling leaves is almost always connected to not enough moisture, whether you are watering in sips, not watering often enough and thoroughly, or they could be dehydrating in a wet mix that has rotted the roots.

Dori and Al have given you much to go on and teh salt issue could be a great possibility if your mix is not porous enough to allow excellent drainge. Watering in sips could also increase salt issues.

Can you determine which one and get back to us?

Mike:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here