Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Have you seen my Hydro grown Sans.?

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Don't know if any of you look around at the Sans. forum where I've posted about various experiments I've got going in growing Sans. I've got some growing Hydro in Leca stones, the oldest one of these has developed into a pretty nice plant, take a look.

{{gwi:71409}}

A bit closer up

{{gwi:71410}}

This started off one leaf I set to root in water. Look at how clean & clear the roots are, I subsequently started 2 more. A friend from the C&S Forum calls it AquaSans.

{{gwi:71411}}

Comments (14)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    12 years ago

Very Cool, PG! Is this the same on you posted on the cactus forum a while ago? How deep do you keep the reservoir?

Danny

• deburn
    12 years ago

PG, that looks great. Can you describe your set up? It maybe something I'd like to try.

So you just have LECA in a pot with holes that's in another pot?

db

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen, who'd have thunk? :)

The Sans you posted was started hydroponically (water) or in stones and is now a full plant?
    It's really nice-looking, doing great.

Toni

• marquest
    12 years ago

That is amazing I would never have thought you could get them to root in a moist environment.

• MojaveLove
    12 years ago

Wow...it started as a leaf? How long did it take to get to that size?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't really recall, not sure I kept dated notes when I started.

Here's some shots of the setup, from last November. The (former) kitchen table & quilting table too

{{gwi:71412}}

The one on the left is the one shown above (currently), the one on the right some no ID. The little cup in front holds a leaf of S. masoniana.

a different angle:

{{gwi:71413}}

See the Masoniana's sprout developing at the base of the leaf? That whole sprout (Masoniana) has a tag that says I put it up in Feb. 2011. So 11 months for that small plant in the front.

The set up is an inch or 2 of water at the bottom of small cups, an inch or so of Leca stones & then the netted cup on top w/ the leaf & more Leca stones in the cup to try & secure the leaf in place 'til it starts roots.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Beautimus, Karen, beautimus. :-)

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen, it is amazing. I know people who rooted succulents in water, 'never had luck myself,' but not Sans.

Do you think S cylindrical would root in water?

Perhaps you answered these questions before, if you have please direct which forum.

1. how long should the cutting be?
    2. what type of light/heat is needed?
    3. do they remain in water indefinately?

Thanks.

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

FANTASTIC & nice work PG!

GB

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody, for the kind words. Yes, I'm a pretty proud Moma about how this bizarre experiment worked out. I'm about to put up a 4th one of these experiments (now w/ a named Sans. ballyi, the one that makes stolons & plantlets like Spider plants.)

Yes Dellis, this is the one I posted a while back at C&S forum (this one or the one on the right, I forget, but probably the larger one as that was the first on & utterly amazed me!)

So Toni,

________________ ________________ _______________

These lines represent all that I COULD say to you given our last interaction. Instead, I'm just going to answer your questions.

I also posted a similar thread about this at C&S (may be on its 2nd page by now), but I think THIS thread has more details about the set-up.

I'm not following any rules or a particular set of instructions, flying by the seat of my pants as it were:

1. how long should the cutting be?

I'm using whole leaves that have broken off other plants or been damaged in some other way.

2. what type of light/heat is needed?

My set-up happens to be about 2 ft. in from a west window, so they're getting a long of natural light, but little direct sun. I'm not using any kind of heat/light otherwise.

3. do they remain in water indefinately?

My little Masoniana pup has been in there 11 months, the larger plant I forget. I have no plans to put these in mix, just hoping to get larger netted pots & put them into those.

I have no reason to think this would NOT work on your S. cylindrica (of which I've heard/read there are a number of different forms).

You're welcome, since you did thank me in advance. :>)

(PG) Karen

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I first discovered it sprouted (the S. Masoniana leaf).

{{gwi:71414}}

A full view

{{gwi:71415}}

The featured plant, from Dec. 2010, the one that got me started in AquaSans (naming credit to Jeff/CmcH).

{{gwi:71416}}

See the root coming out the bottom?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pardon my typo pls.:

"so they're getting a long of natural light, but little direct sun"

should read

"so they're getting a LOT of natural light, but little direct sun"

Sorry 'bout that.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

PG,
    I accidentally broke a large leaf off of one of my Sans. I'm trying something similar to your experiment. I don't have LECA stones, so I'm using aquarium gravel.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure Whip why not,

Pls. let us know how it goes & have fun!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES