Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grimesel1993

Largest houseplant?

grimesel1993
9 years ago

So this has probably been done before but what is your largest houseplants? if someone tells me that it sprawls/creeps/reaches the ceiling/grows wildly then I am instantly interested. Which of your charges grows a little on the wild side??

Comments (14)

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

My largest would be my Majesty Palm but it dosnt grow wild......
    But in the case of fast growing it's probably my Heart Leaf Philodendron
    Mine reached the ceiling in August and if I didn't cut it it would probably be well over 6 feet long by now. And I've had it for almost exactly 3 years.
    I'd let it run wild but it started to get leggy so I had to keep it tame.....

Oh and welcome to gardenweb!

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 1:04

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Wow Elkay! That's a beauty!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

his name is Albert and he is a golden pothos. About 7 feet tall with huge arms everywhere. Actually he is so large it is hard dealing with him, my husband has threatened to cut him down numerous times. Leaves the size of dinner plates. Will post a photo when I can.

• rigo74
    9 years ago

That is so awesome elkay! Puts mine to shame.

• tom_925
    9 years ago

My biggest is a ficus benjamina. It's about 5 feet tall. It was actually a "rescue" that someone dumped on the curb. I gladly wheeled it home. Lol.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Largest in what way? This Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor' was beheaded (yet again) a few months ago, but still my tallest I think.

9 years ago

Widest is definitely parlor palm, Chamaedorea elegans.

9 years ago

Heaviest goes to my laundry buddy, heart leaf Philodendron vine on a trellis, in a 5-gal bucket. (P. hederaceum var. oxycardium.)

• grimesel1993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Such lovely plants!!

Purple, I have been "creeping" on this forum a long time and just recently started posting but I have always admired your plants. Is that a dragon wing you are overwintering there? I'm not the only one who does that?? Lol

9 years ago

Thanks for the kind note!

Here's the Begonia a few months ago. I don't think it's a DW, but it's very similar. You're in very abundant company bringing Begonias inside for winter! The tuberous ones & I don't get along, but the cane, wax & rhizomatous ones are some of my favs for stayin' alive inside for winter. A neighbor gave me this one a few yrs ago, something she's been overwintering in her greenhouse for decades. Not as showy as some of the newer cultivars but I love the way it can get pretty tall, the large 'juicy' feeling leaves.

• grimesel1993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh how lovely! I suppose I'm getting off the point of the original post here...

I seem to collect begonias... Right now I have an angel wing, a dragon wing in its second winter, some other came variety that has ruffled leaves, some large rhizomatous varieites that have big stems that trail over the pots, a cutting of a gryphon begonia, and Rex begonia with large leaves...

And I didn't even realize I had so many until I typed it out

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

had a great winter -grew almost a foot

• Ben Hickerson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have several large houseplants, Monstera both Adansonii and Deliciosa, a Rubber Tree(currently 6 foot tall). a Fishtail Palm, as well as a Money Tree. The largest currently is probably the Money Tree which has to be trimmed yearly or it brushes the ceiling(I've seen stuff saying they don't get this large indoors, but we typically move it to a patio during the warm months)