Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rosary bead plant

Posted by momo413 ny (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 06 at 21:24

anyone familiar with the rosary bead plant? It has the most adorable tiny little leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rosary bead plant

Hi
They are an interesting looking plant aren't they?? I recently found a S African nursery that listed 12 members to the family. Have never heard of any of them.lol
One of the most interesting was Ceropegia ampullata, "Birdcage vine" also known as "Bushman's pipe"
I must find one of those!!
gary

o

I am tryint to root a cutting that my mother gave to me. It has been in water for three weeks. Any tips on care for this plant?

o

I would think that you would be much more successful if you rooted some cuttings on top of a nice little pot of good potting mix. Just lay the cuttings along the surface, and pin the stems to the soil with a broken toothpick or similar. They root VERY easily, though I am not certain that this would be the ideal time. Rooting plants in soil is actually extremely easy, and this is just one example of one that pretty much roots itself.

I assume, by the way, that you are referring to what is more typically called 'String of Pearls' or 'String of Beads', right? Common names can be confusing.

Here is a link that might be useful: String of Pearls plant

o

Hi,

I am confused about what plant we are talking about. Is it a string of hearts (ceropegia woodii) or is it a string of pearls (Senecio rowleyanus). Although it probably doesn't matter which one you have, Rhizo's advice will work for both. Both of these plants are succulents and usually succulents do not root well in water. It is my experience that most succulents root better in soil.

Anyway, good luck with your propagation. Either plant is a fun plant to have.

Larry

o

Hi Gary,

FYI, if I'm not mistaken the Cerogpegia you're referring to aka as "Bushman's Pipe" is correctly called C. ampliata. Just in case you're searching for it, you'll need the correct spelling to find it.

A friend of mine has some (blooms every Sept. & mighty cool to look at). I've been trying to root some pieces of it since Sept.; gotta say, it's not looking great, but I'm trying!

o
RE: Ceropegia typo

Excuse me pls., that should have read CEROPEGIA in my opening line.

o

Mom, I was wondering which plant you meant, too..the beads, (sting of pearls) or string of hearts?
If you're interested in buying either of these plants, they sell them at www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com They even have a variegaetd version of the string of hearts. I have both, planted in one pot. Toni

o

Pirate girl
I located some of the" Bushmans pipe" at Logees. Only source i've found in the US..I found several different spellings for the specie name, ampullatum has been the most useful. Assume it refers to the shape of the flower.??
gary

o

Toni-I bet the 2 of them look cute.

Mom- if you are talking about either string of pearls or beads, or rosary vine, you can root them in cactus potting soil. Don't water them much-mist them occ since they don't get water until roots appear

When I googled rosary bead plant I got something that looked like a pea vine??

o

Toots, the one that looks like little round balls other name is STring of Beads, and String of Pearls.
Those w/heart shaped leaves are Sting of hearts..lol. I have heard the strong of beads also called Rosary bead too, but that was in the 80's.
Both are slow=growing, but very pretty..The string of hearts grows a bit faster than string of beads. At lseat for me. I haven't had any luck w/string of beads a long time..I'd like to get a decent sized one instead of the small cuttings most places send. I think I let the soil dry out too much and now they're goners..Toni

o

Hi Gary,

My searches under the name you cite just yield me a message asking if I'm searching for C. Ampliata, I'm sticking w/ Ampliata. Yes, I guess the name is from the pipe shape, tho' frankly hum ... that's not what the bloom resembles to me.

Sorry, don't grow or know abt Rosary Bead plant, so can't address that.

o

Karen, the Rosary Vine is Ceropgia woodii..Toni

o

Thx Toni,

But I was answering Gary's question/comment (2nd post on this thread), specifically on Ceropegia Ampliata.

o

Well, I have both Ceropegia woodii and Senecio rowleyanus, if it helps! I treat them both as succulents, but it surprises me how much the Senecio likes to drink. For the Ceropegia, it's good to pinch out the growing tips to get a bushier plant, and for the Senecio you can do similar by just poking one of the strands back into the compost and it'll root.

Senecio was incredibly easy to root, haven't tried with the Ceropegia yet.. But yes, fantastically fun plants to be growing. :)

Melanie

o

Melanie, actually they're both succulent plants..Your soil is probably very well-draining which is better than a heavy soil that would need less watering, and a chance to get rot.
Do you have the little bulblets growing on your Ceropegia yet? I think to root babies you need the bulbs..Hopefully someone here knows the answer. Toni

o

hey ,im trying to root some string of pearls in soil,do i need to put a tent over it like u do cuttings when u ar erooting them?

o

is a rosary bead plant poisonious to cats

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here