Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Help rooting "Vanilla Orchid"

teisa
10 years ago

So, I bought this cutting about 6 months ago. I've tried rooting it in a media made up of part soil, bark, perilite, hydroton. This is what I typically root Hoyas in. It is not rooting! It looks good, but not a root one. This is the cutting tonight. I've grown it in a rooting aquarium also. I've kept it moist. I even used rooting hormone. Any suggestions?

Anyone ever rooted this? I know its not a typical houseplant. I will grow it outside once established.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It looks like you do have roots coming from some of the leaf nodes already. They are very easy to get going, bearing in mind they are tropicals and need warmth and humidity. They also like good bright light but better if it's only filtered sun and not direct. They're an epiphyte and normally grow up trees. Roots do go down the tree to the ground but stay near the surface. If you bury the stem and roots they usually rot. As a vine they get very long, as in reaching the tops of tall trees. Some people grow them indoors and curl the stems back down, as you would with Hoyas. The stems are a bit more brittle than Hoyas, so more easily broken off if bent too much.

The aquarium is an ideal situation in your circumstances, but the down side is the size (length) the plant will get to. Taking it outdoors in warm summer weather would be good for it. Cold weather will do it in very quickly, it would be long dead before the temperature got down any where near freezing point. In a cold climate it's doubtful you'd ever get flowers, it'd be near impossible to juggle the right temperature and humidity for long enough. But with a bit of care you could certainly keep it growing and just keep cutting it back to size when it gets too big. And any off cuts will become a new plant quite easily.

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropicbreezent, thanks for replying! I found older posts (many yrs ago) where you grew this! So you think the aerial roots are what keeps it alive, right? And that it will get enough nutrients this way? I hope I'm understanding you correctly. If so maybe it will survive and start growing soon.

Do you think I am growing in the correct potting medium? I'm thinking the person I bought it from grew his in moss ( not sure though). I was trying to root in hoya type soil.

Thanks again!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    Sounds about right. As tropic said they are an epiphyte
    so don't expect them to root like a normal plantlol keep it warm and don't overwater . They are usually very easy to grow. I don't grow them anymore as they took over the whole shadehouse . Be careful orchids are VERY addictive
    before you know it you'll have a hundred or so lol Good luck gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Mine are growing up trees in the garden, but I sometimes give them a bit of a spray with liquid seaweed or fish emulsion at the same strength for any orchid. Some of them are up 20 metres in the trees so only the bottom bits get the fertiliser. Flowering is at the top.

You'd probably be better off leaving yours in the aquarium until the tip grows out, then grow it as a house plant. The growing medium could be something like pine bark, the more air spaces the better. Give it something to climb and attach its roots to. Above all else, try to keep the humidity up as much and for as long as possible.

• teisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! Thanks for all the help! I'll start putting a little fertilizer on it come spring. I really appreciate the responses!!

• StacieG
    9 years ago

I tried growing mine in bark and miss at first and it did nothing. Then I put it in a pot with just miracle grow soil and it took off. I must it occasionally and have it under a light. I am working on making a good support for it to grow up. Hopefully what I have will work for a while.

• Robert Springer Liberty Mutual
    3 years ago

I have a clipping for almost A year that has rooted but no leaves the stem is slowly slowly withering. Any suggestions?

• tropicbreezent
    3 years ago

You don't say what the conditions are or the medium you have it in. Generally, they need warmth, humidity and good drainage with some air movement around the roots.