Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Tiny fronds on Majesty palm

MrBlubs
10 years ago

Lately I've been noticing that my Majesty palms new growth seems to get thinner and thinner
like a couple weeks a go, a frond came up and its pretty big now but Im looking at the little spikes that are coming up (the new fronds) they seem to be really thin. And just tiny...
Is this an Issue? I've had these three for almost a year and they are in a south facing window.
All three of them seem to have these tiny fronds.
Here's a pic

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 22:25

Comments (20)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It seems healthy otherwise,right?

Was it outdoors for the growing season? If so,it might be a reaction to the reduction in light,..but palms aren't really my area so hopefully someone else will pop in and say something more than I can.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I would say so beside having Some fungus gnats but there mostly dealt with now.
    And its never been outside....

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I would say so beside having Some fungus gnats but there mostly dealt with now.
    And its never been outside...
    Whoops! Double post

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 16:08

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Is south facing it's only option?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup...
    It only gets sun through the window though for about 2-3 hours a day.

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 21:57

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I don't understand the significance of the pic?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess you can't really tell in the pic but the middle membrane (Or whatever its called) Is really thin and the fronds already starting to open up.
    Like one of my other palms shot out a frond that's very tiny compared to previous ones. Like less then half the sizen

10 years ago

That does sound unusual. How about a pic of the whole plant?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the whole plant(s)
    Sorry Im not sure how to flip the photo on my phone

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Flipping your photo for you.

Planto

10 years ago

I would repot this plant when practical. The tips of the leaves are all turning brown, a sign it's struggling.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What' causes the leaf tips to turn brown?
    I know when I got the plants that the edges Eddington and eventually all the new growth its edges turn brown and sometimes dry up...
    I guess Ill repot in spring.. Do I have to repot or can I just change the soil? As its only been in the green pot since September
    Thanks for the help!
    Oh and thanks for flipping the photo!

{{gwi:71730}}

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 23:01

10 years ago

When the roots of my parlor palm run out of room, the tips start turning brown like that. I would suspect something like that, an issue with the roots.

Yes, always try to remove all of the old soil if possible when repotting. When you potted in Sept, what did the roots look like?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I don't really remember but they were the size of the plastic pot it came in. Which I think was either 6 or 8 inches in diameter.

10 years ago

From this I would assume you just put the whole thing as it was in a bigger pot? That's called potting up. A repot is better. Instead of translating poorly, I'll paste something. It was written about Ficus, but applies to about any woody entity in a pot. I think it will help you with your palm.

I would usually put a quote in italics, but the quote contains them, so know, this whole thing is the quote:
    Some things are defined by rigid rules, some things are not. The more you know, the better able (the collective) you are to separate one from the other and to qualify those aspects of growing that are less well-defined. For instance, it's entirely true that root pruning a F lyrata is unnecessary, but in much the same way that changing your auto's oil is unnecessary. Is it advisable to ignore a root system's degree of congestion? Definitely not, but if you prefer the consequences to the effort, by all means - do as you please and hope for miracles. The fact of the matter is, root congestion starts to impact growth rates and vitality in a negative way at about the time that the root/soil mass can be lifted from the soil intact. The extent to which the plant is negatively affected is directly related to the severity of the root congestion.

Root pruning even brand new woody arrivals that don't yet have congested and problematic root systems may not be necessary from a physiological perspective (to relieve congestion), but it can be a valuable first step in developing a root system that is free of common problems and distortions certain to grow progressively worse, and in ridding the center of the original root mass of poor soils that needed only to serve long enough for the plant to find its way to a buyer.

".... root pruning is not all that healthy and good for a plant as its made out to seem there is NO such thing as root pruning in nature its what people do to potted plants when they become rootbound" [sic] To put things in perspective: When you choose to let your ficus and other woody or somewhat woody plants become root bound, or you choose to only pot up instead of repotting, you ensure your plant will always be limited in its growth and vitality. If, however, you choose to repot and root prune at the appropriate intervals, you are seeing that your plant has the possibility of growing to its full genetic potential, within the limiting effects of other cultural conditions with the potential to limit your plant's growth/ health.

Of course there surely is root pruning in nature. Roots cyclically die back and regenerate because of cultural influences, not to mention the plant self prunes the root mass to maintain a state of balance between the root volume and foliage volume. Temp extremes, to much/ too little water, lack of or excess of either o/a fertility or specific nutrients, compaction, herbicide injury, and various other factors regularly kill roots.

Even if it was true that there is .... "NO such thing as...

10 years ago

Does anybody else think it's funny the italics I went to all the trouble to talk about didn't come through the post because I didn't re-code them? Fumble.

Nominate this for 'duh of the day.'

Might as well highlight it for enjoyment for anyone who might otherwise miss it. If you want to LOL, please do! Deserves.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol!
    Thanks for the link and all that info!
    So Do I have to wait for spring to repot? As spring didn't really come here untill the Middle of May... And so Can I repot it in the same pot or do I have to get a bigger one? And when I do repot it I remove all of the old soil right?
    Thanks again! Also, Can I repot this when its like 6-10 degrees Celsius? Or Is that too cold?

Oh, I got it! So I can keep it in the same pot I just have to use new soil and prune the roots so they dont get so congested!

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:58

10 years ago

You're soooo far from where any kind of palm tree 'should' be, and yours doesn't look like it's in an emergency situation, just starting to pout. I've not read enough about repotting palms to know what the CW is on the timing, just telling you what I do with parlor palms, repot when they can go back outside permanently. That's May up there? Usually March here, (April when I lived in OH,) but who knows this year, sheesh. Others in Canada or other locations at such high latitude with palms would probably have the most specific advice. I can't think of anybody offhand who fits that category.

What vibe are you getting from the tree?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I know.... That's one of the reasons I have one as it makes me feel like Im somewhere warm. Yeah I guess the middle of May declares spring as that's when the buds start coming out. Its snowed in May for 3 years in a row here.. And I don't remember a March or April that has never had snow or has always been above zero. I felt bad for the robins last year. It was The middle of April and It was like - something and snowing and there were 30 or more robins in my back yard huddling together under Chairs and what not.
    Thanks for all the info! Helped me a lot!
    Well I always felt that I was doing pretty well with the palms as I've read Majesty palms are the worst palm to grow indoors and so forth and mine seems to be not dying. I hope. Some how makes me feel accomplished :)
    Ha ha.
    Ah its fine, youve given me all the info I need