Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

My new Baby!! :)

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi all, I know I haven't been on much, a lot is happening in our little lives right now, not all good either. So my DH and I went on a "date" yesterday, a movie, dinner and he actually STOPPED at WALMART!! (He HATES wally world!!) He walked me to the plant department and asked me what I wanted!! There were a few I would not mind getting, but later.

So I looked around and this was in the Christmas Plant discount. Only 4 bucks! It looked sadder than I feel, plus it was the last one... for some reason I could not put it back, I told him "I think it "needs" me." So he bought it for me! I guess they just watered it cuz it "peed" all over me in the car-- lol. We tried to take the bottom of the pot off today,looks like it just snaps on... guess what was not coming off?? So we are going to have to do something for the drainage soon.

But this is my new baby. Hope it will look better in a while. :)

{{gwi:71739}}

looks old don't it?? Hope to get some good starts this spring off of it and try getting something new.. but in the meantime~~ what do you think?

Marjie~~ :)

Comments (8)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

The plastic pots at any common big box store lack drainage needs for most any plant even with out the bottom snap on saucer. One pair of pruning sheers coming up. Cut it enough top to bottom left and right side halves to split it open then free it from the mud bath sludge it sits in now.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's a pretty sad looking plant but I'm very confident you'll get it perked up!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hello again,

Likely that's some kind of Rhipsalis, an epiphytic jungle cactus, which takes a fair amount of water & for which fast drainage is critical. You'll really need to get that saucer off & or place in likely in better mix & another pot.

Fast draining mix can make or break a plant like this. Bright, indirect light would be its preference.

Looks like it's had a hard life. These are resilient plants; I'm sure time & some care will help it a lot.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I think that's a beautiful plant despite the abuse it got walmart, I too would of grabbed it. I have a big leafed Rhipsalis I got from a local walmart but it's leaves are much longer and it sticks straight up and is kinda starting to hang with the weight of it, but I have no idea what kind it is and I have searched for it online numerous times.

I too hate it when plants pee on me, it always runs down arms when I grab hanging plants at stores getting my sleeves all wet...

Anyways, I have luck with hanging them outside in spring and summer in the shade, they love being outside. And even though they need more water then other succulents, they're still very forgiving if you forget to water for a short time. They are slow growers, but they do root VERY easily.

I bet that plant is very happy to be at home with you and out of deathrow. good luck with it.

-FPT

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"when plants pee on me"

Agreed! Why do all hanging baskets have a reservoir of standing water? They are death traps, deathrow is accurate. I've never bought one I didn't have to fix, both the plant and the pot. House plants and "annuals" are all sentenced to death this way w/o intervention. It's sad and one of my top pet peeves.

If I see something that interesting, I'd try to save it too.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Cograts on your new baby!

In your care, it will look better than you can bat an eye!
    It might even put some blossoms out for you.:-)

Very nice Marjie.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, Thanks for the proper name too, it wasn't on the pot and no tag of any kind... of course.

So far it hasn't complained~~ lol. Still haven't taken off the bottom yet, I am going to need help from my DH and things are so screwed up here, it has kinda been on the back burner, sorta speak. Everything has lately, but hoping to get back to sorta normal soon... hope.

Anyway, I was wondering when I should repot it? (new soil) I wanted to wait till Spring, but if you all think now would be better, I can do that too. I am really hoping for flowers too. Should be pretty. But first things first, get it looking well. :)

The leaves are strong, plump, no drying at all, but some of the starts seem to want to fall off easily. So maybe repotting it now would be better. Does the pot look like the right size for it? (hope so~~ lol)

But thanks for all the nice comments~ :)
    Marjie~~ trying not to be a stranger here...

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again, just now looked it up~~ confused on the real name tho.. is it a Elliptica or Geobeliana? Either way it should be purtty in bloom.. :)

Just making sure
    Marjie