Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor dried out Croton in Michigan

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 22:27

I am just wondering if there is any way to salvage my spirally croton plant. I went on vacation overseas for almost two and a half weeks. I throughly watered all my plants before I left. Since I had only been watering them about once every two weeks this winter and they have been fine with this I figured this would be ok. I had someone house sit and I told them not to water the plants. When I came home some of my house plants have become completly dried out. My croton being one of my favorites seems to be dried down to the soil. I am wondering if there is anything I can try before pitching it. Would cutting it down to the soil help? Its cold here in Michigan and not much sun the last couple days. I have a counter in the livingroom with a florouescent light that I can put the plant under and it will be about 5 inches from the light. Should I try moving it to that location? Any suggestions.. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor dried out Croton in Michigan

Did it drop all of its leaves? You could try just watering it again. Start with a small amount of water because the roots are probably dead and you don't want to flood it as such, and after that's dried out, start watering it regularly. It'll probably re-leaf.

o

The leaves are still on but the stalks look pretty dry and everything is pretty brittle. I did water it pretty good when I got home because I wanted to act fast. I should have asked first so I will just wait and see.
Any idea on the light. Im concerned because its cloudy and not a lot of light comes in by the kitchen window so would the flourescent light help? And for how long each day should I leave the light on?

o

Cardarlin, top watering is fine..but I'd have filled up a pail or the sink with water. Then placed the potted Croton inside to moisten soil. Afterwards, 'if done in the sink,' released water stopper, then left the plant to soak up
humidity. Wait 15-30 mins, discard excess water.

Fertilize w/half-strength once you see new growth. Since you're in z5, place your plant in a very sunny window. Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here