Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Overwintering Houseplants

greybird_keke
11 years ago

Hi Everyone, I was just wondering what most of you do when you bring your plants in for the winter....keep them all together or scatter them throughout the house? A special room or corner? This summer, I fixed up a room in the basement with new plant lights and took over my daughter's large abandoned aquarium for my plants. I thought it would be fun if we posted pictures of our plant's winter quarters, maybe get a few new ideas....

Comments (20)

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

That looks so nice and organized!

I cram some into the corner of my kitchen....
    {{gwi:71758}}

And some by the picture window, under the skylights...
    {{gwi:71759}}

Plus a few in the other two rooms.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Tidy for sure, impressive! I'm not crazy about having these plants all over the place. All of them are outside for most of the year.

This shelf thing usually holds dust-catcher knick-knacks and the heavy blankets that are on beds right now. But it was originally bought as a plant stand when I lived in a place with a sliding glass door. This sat on the side that had the stationary glass.

11 years ago

This table DH built is currently our head board although the bed does not actually touch it.

11 years ago

This room is usually just open play space.

11 years ago

Plants jostling for space in my son's room, which has the best windows of the whole house.

The sad Sans on the right got frost bite and the tips of almost all of the leaves are brown now.

11 years ago

The other great window in my son's room. DH and I were joking the other night that all of these plants and cuttings in bottles of water on the windowsills are a pretty good security system, if a criminal had thoughts about coming through a window. That would be a time-consuming, noisy process. (Not to mention the fact that these old school windows make a really loud banging noise when they are opened, something about the springs that are the support, likely adjusted much too tight. I like it.)

• plantastic
    11 years ago

I am about to move house and will lose my lovely plant-filled sunroom. Your pictures remind me of what my new house will look like with plants crammed in every nook and cranny! This is a compliment, by the way.

11 years ago

LOL! Yep, it feels like an English muffin in here, the plants are the butter. Good luck with your move, Plantastic!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Now, I don't know about you Purple, but I see some PRIME window sill space! Rid the bottles and buy more plants is my philosophy..lol

Beautiful plants everyone! Will be back for more morsels..

Mike

11 years ago

Not a terrible point, but they would have to be very small plants. Sills are only about 3" deep (and COLD - single pane glass) and I have to be able to close the blinds at night on all but 1 window. Those bottles (of Coleus and some Persian shield) are my landscaping for this summer. I figured somebody would mention those. I would like to hang more pots but DH said the ceiling is doing as much as it can already.

There are more bottles in the kitchen window. Each one will be a big plant outside in a few months...

11 years ago

More plants in the front room, ignore the pile of stuff on its' way to the shed, I am.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

purple

When will you start planting out the Coleus & Persian shield?
    (I am trying to overwinter Persian shield in pots, have 5 of them & they are still alive...but it is a long wait for them before going out here).

Rina

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I almost forgot my greenhouse window! Great pictures, everyone! Purple, I like your idea of saving space by putting small pots at the base of your bigger plants. I don't have many large enough to do that now, but something to keep in mind for next winter.

• val1
    11 years ago

Greybird, I love your greenhouse window, plants, shells, but most of all, your quartz. Those are beautiful pieces!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

My plants are shoved in my livingroom and kitchen windows, but I just recently put some succulents in my bedroom window (I was afraid I would sometimes forget I have some plants there so I only put plants that are forgiving about watering right now like succulents). I really dislike the windows in my place cause they're too high to put any of my plants on the floor so I have to use tables to lift the plants up to the windows cause my window sills are filled.

My home feels kinda cluttered with these plants in here for the winter, but yet it's also very nice having all this beautiful plants so close, it's kinda comfy to me... but I'm sure my plants cant wait to get back outside.

I'm gonna go buy batteries for my camera later today, then I'll post some pics.

11 years ago

"Greybird, I love your greenhouse window, plants, shells, but most of all, your quartz. Those are beautiful pieces!" Ditto! Wow!!! And the prettiest barnacles I've ever seen. Glad I'm not the only one who collects those with shells.

I wonder "who" is more anxious to go back outside, the people or the plants? Fortitude to all!

Rina, speaking of fortitude, the overwintered potted PS. Oh my. Hope yours aren't as ugly as mine. Did the same thing the past 2 winters in a prime spot in a south window, and always did this in any window in OH too, so it's relegated to this sad north window this time. Still amazingly thirsty. What a weird plant. At the very top, you can see the flower spike things well, they're on most branches. Sometimes they actually bloom, sometimes not. I usually trim a lot more but I left it much bigger this time too.

Around March 1 it should be safe to put the Coleus back in the ground, plants back outside. Seems like a lifetime away today...

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

purple

the reason i asked is that you are in so much warmer zone than me. I'll be very happy to get some plants out in May...but not complaining, I always think about gardeners in zones further north, where even Ginko tree gets winter damage/die back, or Catalpa is hard to grow...

Overwintering persian shield is my second attemp; first time 1 plant made it. I have them in pots in basement & they are not getting that much light - there are fluorescents there, but other plants (mostly succulents) are taking prime real estate. Surprisingly, they still look ok, even if they don't seem to be growing much. But color is still purple. Will see how it will work out.
    I like this plant for the silvery-purple color.

Rina

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Val and Purple, about the quartz....I love rock hunting, and on a couple of occasions we have gone to Arkansas to try our luck at the crystal mines. I always bring home plenty of "yard rocks" and a few nice crystals, but I have never found a very large cluster. Those in the window were purchased at the mine, where they can be bought for a reasonable price. That's a south facing window, and I love the way they look in the light!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

MY GOODNESS!!! All so absolutely BEAUTIFUL folks! I am loving this thread.
    I too tend to put smaller plants resting on the top of the soil of my much bigger pots. Those that like partial sunlight like it there.

Now, the BIG question?

What the hack are you all going to do when those cute tiny plants outgrow those spaces? lol. You'd be surprise how fast they can grow by summers end and not fit where they once did.

Mike

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike - will just have to get more cute tiny plants to replace ones that got too big - isn't that a great reason for more?
    And worry again in fall where to put it all - but we all always manage somehow, lol.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022