Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grimesel1993

Miracle leaf? Curtain plant? Love leaf?

grimesel1993
9 years ago

So while vacationing in south Florida I picked up a bit of unknown succulent that I have since always known as "Carribean love leaf." I have a particular love of old pass along plants. I guess you could call them heirloom houseplants. I have heard brief mentions that people used to hang this plant on their curtains where it would sprout and that it was grown during Victorian times. Does anyone know of these uses? Anyone have any experience with it?

Comments (7)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

Try this link ... Bryophyllum pinnatum (formerly Kalanchoe)

(also some other references -

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/108118725/love-leaf-plant-organically-grown

See if this looks likely

Here is a link that might be useful: miracle leaf

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Hi & welcome to GW.

There are several plants that form babies on the leaf edge, formerly Kalanchoe, now moved to Bryophyllum. You might have found the one mentioned above, or one of the others. If your leaf doesn't match the suggested species above, you're welcome to a pic of your leaf. Someone will probably recognize it.

If you don't feel like doing a pic, other likely candidate species to compare are diagremontiana, delagoensis, gastonis-bonnieri, and x houghtonii. Most pics will probably be labeled Kalanchoe.

They are a blast to 'play' with! Here are a few types I took a pic of a couple months ago.

• grimesel1993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks y'all!! Everyone is so helpful here :) I actually know the species (kalanchoe pinnata; although wasn't it changed). I am really interested in its history as a cultivated plant- I always find little snippets but not much detail. Particularly this curtain pinning thing I keep reading about!

• grimesel1993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh! Sorry you just said it was changed. That answers that!

9 years ago

Curtain-pinning is fascinating, isn't it? I have mini blinds, so that's not an option I can try. I just lay them near a window. But if you wanted to try that literally, I'd pin around the leaf, not piercing through it. Piercing would encourage premature rotting of the mama leaf.

Since other species can do the same thing, I'm not sure all of the stories about curtain-pinned leaves are in reference to K. pinnata in particular. Was that info maybe attached (via assumption) by someone relating a previous generation's story? What has your investigation revealed?

Once you get a lil' crop going, you can trade babies (and/or individual leaves ready to be "pinned") for other plants you need. Succulents travel well in a box & trading is an excellent way to increase your stock of them if you don't live near a store with many.

• grimesel1993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only found a couple references and both seemed to be in reference to earlier generations. I have never tried sprouting a lead without soil but I have seen people donut in water. Do you have much luck just laying it on a windowsill?? Does that also work for Mother of thousands because I have that as well

Lord knows I don't need anymore plants!! But I adore trading. There is a lady I know who has been known to bring an entire bag of cuttings to church for me. so the collecting continues!

9 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, after about 4-6 weeks, the little babies are ready to sit on the soil surface & start going.

"Mother of thousands" can refer to several diff species, because of their ability to grow babies on the leaf edge. If you can share a pic of yours, somebody should be able to give you the species name of which Kalanchoe it is. These that make the babies have been moved to Bryophyllum, so info can also be found using that name. There are more than a dozen Kalanchoe/Bryophyllums that can make babies on the leaf edge.

Keep us posted on the collecting!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville