Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrinkled leads on Schefflera

Posted by MrBlubs 3a (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 22:59

My S chefflera aboricola has one leaf that is wrinkled. This is a freshly put out leaf and is still growing but It is wrinkled.... I dont think its from understanding as none of the other leaves have it. And I don't let the soil dry out much.
It recently had a growth spurt and put out 3 leafs and 1 nubby thing that will hopefully come out as a new leaf. But it has seemed to stop now.
Do you know whats causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrinkled leads on Schefflera

I would guess that there is something piercing the leaves and sucking the sap.Look very carefully under the leaves. Any aphids? They are likely to go for the fresh new growth. I notice that the older leaves in the background are also quite distorted so were presumably attacked when they were young.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to 'Insect and mite problems'

o

Theres no insects on the plant or under the leaves that I can see.
It does have fungus gnats in it but there mostly controlled now.
But there are soil mites in the soil that look exactly like mites but you can only see them if you stir up the soil.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 21:29

That's all you have to be concerned about? Really? Way to go! ;-)

Scheffs are pretty much bullet proof if you don't over-water, so stay that hand that works the watering can until the plant is almost but not quite dry. Nutritional problems often cause leaf distortions or malformations, and soggy soils cause plenty of nutritional issues, so you can see where I'm going ..... What are you using for a fertilizer? how often? when last?

Do check for mites and scale - they're not always easy to spot until you get familiar with what you're looking for.

Al

o

Well, on monday I got those Miracle grow spikes and put on in with it. Its the first fertilizer I have ever bought for my plants so I thought they could use some right now as they are putting off new growth. I only put one in instead of three as it is January so ya.
I went over the whole plant with a flashlight and a handheld microscope and couldn't find any mites on the plant or scales. But while checking the soil there were some skinny white worms. They went gnat larvae as these were long. Any Idea what they could be?
Thanks for the help!

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 21:53

o

Sorry, Dont know why my post are all doubling....

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 21:42

o

Theres no insects on the plant or under the leaves that I can see.
It does have fungus gnats in it but there mostly controlled now.
But there are soil mites in the soil that look exactly like mites but you can only see them if you stir up the soil.

Sorry again :\ Don't know what's going on

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 22:02

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 22:09

The "mites" are larvae or something in its formative stage - prolly fungus gnats, but who knows. Letting the soil dry down more between waterings should rid the soil of them.

I'm not just asking you to do it because I want to see if you'll do it, I'm asking you to ditch the fertilizer spikes and get your plants on something they'll tolerate or even like, because the fertilizer spikes are a poor choice. Miracle Gro 12-4-8 liquid is cheap, and widely available, though maybe not so much in winter. Even better than that would be sending away for a small bottle of Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. You can make things a lot easier with a good fertilizer and soil. You'd be amazed at how much that combination makes life easier.

Al

o

I guess Ill get to of them then. They were just kinda there and I just bought them for some reason.
Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here