Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

House plant medium

ladylotus
11 years ago

I am wondering if I could grow a newly purchased house plant in equal portions of perlite, chicken grit, bark pieces and decorative rocks (approx 1/4" to 1/2" size)?

I've read about Al's gritty mix but cannot get my hands on turface yet.

The plant I purchased is a tri colored hoya.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (13)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi, (I grow Hoyas too). Are you thinking of the decorative rocks in the mix or on top as top dressing? ID skip them entirely, the other components sound OK.

I don't use gritty mix, this seems a bit too lean IMO for Hoyas, I'd add some mix if it were mine.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking of using the decorative rock mixed in with the other ingredients...but at the bottom would be fine too. I've always used potting soil in my plants but bought this really cheap tough looking plant from a sales table. It should not be too difficult nurturing it back to health but I just needed a bit of a winter project to see what a soil less mix would do for a plant.

Thank you for the advice pirate girl.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The decorative rocks won't be decorative at the bottom of the pot, or do anything beneficial for the plant. I love rocks too, and have them in pots (on the surface) and throughout the outside beds.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hello!

The chicken grit and the decorative rocks will serve the same function in the mix -
    durability, drainage, and reduced overall water-holding capacity - so I would just use
    one or the other, preferably the chicken grit.

Perlite doesn't hold as much moisture as Turface, so I'd go slightly heavier on the Perlite.

This will make a lean mix, so add a bit of slow-release fertilizer. You'll also want a
    fertilizer to apply regularly after the plant is established.

Josh

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it is a clear pot in which you will see the decorate rock if it is in the pot. Also, I wanted to show the girl scouts the roots structure through the clear bowl. I think I will give it a try and see what happens.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

With this added info, I totally agree!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

You're welcome, I do hope the clear bowl has a drainage hole, if not there will likely be problems.

It's STILL going to be too lean for Hoyas which I do grow, I'd suggest adding some potting soil (like 1/4 African violet mix).

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Where do you live (nearest large city), LL?

Al

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Al, I live in Bismarck, ND.

11 years ago

Hmmmm - the only distributor of Turface that Profile Corp lists in ND is in Fargo (Tessman Seed). Ever travel there or know someone who does?

Other places to try are golf courses, companies that construct athletic fields, schools ...... in fact, I called Tessman Seed and they said they sell to Bismark schools, so if you wanted to do a little sleuthing, you might come up with a source where you live.

Al

11 years ago

Hmmmm - the only distributor of Turface that Profile Corp lists in ND is in Fargo (Tessman Seed). Ever travel there or know someone who does?

Other places to try are golf courses, companies that construct athletic fields, schools ...... in fact, I called Tessman Seed and they said they sell to Bismark schools, so if you wanted to do a little sleuthing, you might come up with a source where you live.

Al

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al! What I gather from using your mix is that you are pretty much growing plants similar to hydroponics...right? I've read a lot of your posts and know I need to give it a whirl. I will give Tessman's a call.

Thank you.

11 years ago

All growing in containers is closer to hydroponics than to growing in the garden, so it makes sense that a modified set of rules needs to be employed if you want to do best by your plants. I think you do move maybe another number closer to hydroponics on a scale of 1-10 when you use a soil that is purposed toward ensuring better aeration and reduced water retention, but it's hard to see that as anything but a positive if you're approaching the whole exercise of growing from the perspective of what offers the plant the best opportunity to grow as close as possible to its genetic potential.

I called Tessman's, and they have it (Turface MVP), but being it's such a jaunt, I'd feel better if you heard it straight from the horse's mouth. ;-)

Let me know if there's anything you think I can help with ....

Al

Sponsored
Horizon Building Corporation
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Unparalleled Renovation & Home-Building Solutions in Fairfax County