Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distinguishing these Two Aroids

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 23:10

Hi Folks,

Recently we've seen both these plants online. I'd like to get clear on their names pls. if we can. I may be opening a Hornet's Nest (or maybe should I just ask at Aroid Forum)?

I hope to share several pix, since I'm growing both, but let's start here.

photo P1100567_zps018d6043.jpg

Can you see that the lower 2 leaves are a different plant than the upper 2 leaves?

I'll be looking around for better pix, but wanted to start the discussion.

I know the upper leaves to be Epipremnum scindapsis (or scandens). I don't know the name of lower leafed plants.

Here's another of the upper leaves.

photo P1100570_zps169a135b.jpg

Another of the other.

photo P1100568_zpsbabf3b1e.jpg

Any takers? What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distinguishing these Two Aroids

Here's a good shot of the larger of the 2.

photo P1090967_zps20051d4a.jpg

o

The small one is scindapsus pictus. Not too sure on the larger one, probably a variation of such. I've found these plants can be fussy they don't like too much water, they don't like a draft, they don't like the hot sun, and they especially don't like to be pulled or they will come right out of the soil.

o

Duplicate post, my apologies.

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 6:48

o

pirate_girl, I think that that they are variations of the same plant

o

Both plants are discussed in this thread, which you also participated in pg: silver philodendron thread

The lower leaves and "other" plant (last one in OP) is what Exotic Angel sells as "Silver Philodendron" with proper name of Scindapsus pictus var. argyraeus.

o

Thanks folks, I'm still pretty confused. I misspoke about Epipremum (I know that's Pothos).

But these 2, I hear what folks are saying & I’ve looked at the threads, linked & mentioned (including those in which I participated). I still think these are 2 different plants.

All my searches yielded mixed results, w/ a common occurrence of pix of BOTH plants but names really only of Scindapsus &/or Phildendron Silver.

While it's doesn't really matter, it's just making me nuts cause I'm convinced they are 2 different plants.

I’ve grown the larger leafed, gray splotched one for several years, found it to be as Will suggested: fussy about water & quick to react too overwatering. I killed 2 or 3 of them before I got the watering right & in that respect it’s like a Pothos, seems to prefer infrequent watering.

But the smaller, lighter splotched leaves, the Scindapsus, I’ve only had recently as cuttings in water.

I may post this at Aroid Forum to ask. Thanks everybody & belated Happy New Year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here