Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookwurm140

Aloe vera stinks to high heaven!

bookwurm140
13 years ago

I have had what I was told is an Aloe vera plant for four years now. It's doing very well with lots of new growth, and I am careful not to over water it...disease/rot are not an issue at all. The plant smells fine but whenever I break open one of the leaves and squeeze out the gel it smells like a bad onion. Is this a normal smell for a true aloe plant, or do you think mine is some other variety of succulent or aloe?

PS This is not my plant, but it looks just like it: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Aloe_vera_with_shoots.jpg

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hey Cactusmcharris..great seeing you here..

Bookwurm. I've heard others say their Aloe's smell like onions. If you like the scent of onions, no problem, but if you don't....yuck.
    I'd like the onion fragrance if it smelled of fried onions, not raw..lol..Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Actually, with so many hundreds of aloe species out there, many of them have that odor. I've had a couple with no discernible smell at all, while others really stink.

Commercially produces aloe has been processed so that all of the odor is removed.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Yea it grows like weeds down here and it is slimy and stinky, but people swear by it, even put it in the blender and drink it. No way........

• bookwurm140
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Haha, there is no way that I would put that onion-y mess into a blender and drink it... It sure makes a beautiful houseplant though.

• SalosTommy
    11 years ago

Health Concerns: Individuals dealing with digestive conditions and irritable bowel must keep away from aloe-vera juice for the reason that stimulant laxatives in it may enhance the harshness of the medical conditions.

Carrying a child: Ingesting aloe-vera juice in pregnancy or while breastfeeding is greatly restrained due to the irritant and also purgative characteristics. Natural Aloe-vera ought to be minimal throughout lactation given that the existence of anthraquinones inside breast milk could lead to diarrhoea. In expectant mothers aloevera juice might cause vaginal contractions and also end in loss of the baby.

Slows down Injury Recovery: Natural Aloe Vera juice or external natural aloe-vera lotions are certainly not a good idea if there are serious injuries and burns as they are able cause a postponement in injury restoration.

You must remember the fact that the majority of the aloevera juice complications are caused by an overdose or incorrect use. If you suffer from any of those adverse reactions then avoid using aloe-vera straight away and request healthcare support as early as you can. Additionally in case you're on any medications, then look for the physician's tips before using natural aloe-vera juice. We expect you understand now that having aloe-vera juice far too much can have certain negative effects, so be cautious.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheVitaminMag.com

• HU-516130308
    4 years ago

Glad I found you guy's here, I have two plant's one was given to me that's potted the other was in the yard of the house I moved in, idk how old it is, but it smells like rotten onion,I use the aloe gel for skin care,my question .. is the one that smells bad not good for that? The smell alone makes me not want to use it but I love how soft it makes my hair and the fullness it gives, but should I toss it out because it's bad to use and will it be more harmful than helpful?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

Showing us a picture of your plant would help us a lot to diagnose what the problem is. Generally, though, a rotten plant should be tossed, but maybe it's salvageable.