Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Miniature Tropical Rain Forest

larry_b
11 years ago

Hi all,

In another thread there's a discussion about miniature landscapes, I thought I would show you my miniature, 1.2 cubic feet of tropical rain forest contained in a 10 gallon aquarium. I made this terrarium around six years ago. It has had good times and bad times. Unfortunately life can get in the way and there were times when I neglected the terrarium badly so it has had several periods of severe drought. I've lost quite a few plants over the last six years but it's surprising how many have made it under such harse conditions. I started working on the terrarium again a few months ago and it's starting to look much better. I have added a few micro-miniature sinningias and a few of them have started to bloom.

I thought I'd Post some pictures. I already posted this over in the terrarium forum, but it so dead over there that I'm sure none of you have been there to see it. If you'd like to see the thread you can go to Terrarium Thread and see some of the progression. I apologize for the cloudy photos. It's calcium deposits on the glass from misting the tillandsia.

{{gwi:72050}}

{{gwi:72051}}

{{gwi:72052}}

{{gwi:72053}}

{{gwi:72054}}

{{gwi:72055}}

Comments (17)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That is sooo cool! It really looks like a mini rain forest. Thanks for posting!! What is the creeping stuff around the blue frog?

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

That looks great, Larry. Thank you for sharing your pics.

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Purple and Sarah!

Purple,

The ground cover is bacopa aff. monnieri. I found it at Black Jungle. The plant really is a terrarium plant though. It needs lots of humidity. They also have non-terrarium plants though. They are a bit on the pricey side.

I know that you are looking for miniature plants. Your idea for a miniature garden sounds fun! Have you tried Rob's Violets or the Violet Barn. He doesn't only sell African violets. He has a wide variety of small plants for terrariums and small gardens like what you are thinking about. I would phone your order in though so that you can ask about each plant. It's not always clear from the website whether a plant is appropriate for in or out of the terrarium.

Larry

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

Larry, that little world you've created is so appealing. Beautiful Tillandsias.

Amanda

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Amanda!

Larry

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

That's very nice Larry. Great job!

Now all you need is a few live little critters!

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

That's very nice Larry. Great job!

Now all you need is a few live little critters!

Mike

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike! I don't think so on the live critters. I am not into reptiles and frogs are really difficult to keep alive.

Larry

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I keep a 150 gallon in my shadehouse ,which used to be an aquarium but developed an incurable leak lol i no longer heat the shadehouse so the "terrarium ' has become prblematic .In spirte of the heat,cold rainfall, shadowing it's still become a "jungle " lots of fun to work with when I get ambitious!! Needs a really serious "landscaping"
    But too many other projects in the way!! gary

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

Here is a new photo of one of the micro miniature sinningias, Sinningia pusilla.

{{gwi:72056}}

• ronalawn82
    11 years ago

larry_b, your member page is cool - also!

11 years ago

So cute! The flowers look like Streptocarpella.

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ronalawn!

Purple, they are really cute aren't they? They do look similar. Actually they are plant cousins. They are both in the gesneriad family.

Larry

11 years ago

Fascinating, thanks for the schoolin'! Now that you say that, the leaves look very similar to Streptocarpella too, just variegated. It's on my list of "plants to notice" when out shopping.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That does look good, you've done a great job. Some other plants which could look quite good in that situation are Droseras (Sun Dews). Some are quite short, but there are some that will grow taller in that environment. You'd need to be selective. Also some Utricularias. There are also very small Bulbophyllum orchids which could go quite well in that humidity. When you think of it, there are so many miniature plants that would be suitable, you'd need a tank the size of a room, LOL.

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all,

I just found out that my camera takes short movies and not bad ones either. This one is about two minutes long and is a journey through the rain forest.

Rain Forest Tour

This post was edited by larry_b on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 18:47

11 years ago

Well how cool is that?! But you're setting the bar too high! Loved the tour, thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz