Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseylu_gw

Help with spider plant, please!

lindseylu
16 years ago

Hello! I am hoping someone might be able to offer me advice. I have a beautiful, healthy spider plant which is making babies right and left. The thing is that the babies aren't sprouting "air roots" (as I've seen on spider plants that are for sale in gardening stores) despite being close to six months old!

Is there anything I can do to encourage the babies to grow roots so that I can separate them from Mom and put them in their own pots? If not, should I put them in dirt while they're still connected to Mom and they will automatically sprout roots? Or is it safe to disconnect them and plant them without visible roots? I don't want to kill the babies!

Thank you in advance for any ideas you can give me! I appreciate it. Sincerely, Lindsey :)

Comments (13)

• lil-again
    16 years ago

i'd make use of rooting horomone powder. just dip plant into a dab of water, then into the powder. shake off excess powder then stick into dirt, packing lightly into earth. then just wait it won'y be long at all until they root.

lil.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

It's safe to separate them and plant them even if they have no visible roots.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I never wait for roots. I just take the baby off whenever I want to and stick it in a jar of water. It usually takes about two days before I see the roots start and then they grow pretty fast. I can then pot them up whenever I get around to it.
    gg

• whiteforest
    16 years ago

I root them in water, too. They're ready to plant in soil within a few weeks. Just one recommendation - either pack them into the top of a jar so they don't tip over in the water, or leave quite a bit of the stem because if you submerge any of the leaves in the water they'll end up rotting.

• sarahbarah27
    16 years ago

Yup...just pop them in some water and they will root. They are really easy!!!

• mzscott
    16 years ago

I have many house plants but the spider plants is my absolute favorite. This plant is very smart, it let you know if you a re over watering or not enough, too much sun to little sun,just by the tip of the leaves turning brown. The little babies will grow just by plucking them and tucking them in fresh moist soil, i use miracle grow soil with all of my house plants. I have about seventy five new spider plants just from two full grown plants, that i have had for about three years. I started a small business, selling this beauties in large arrangements for small business here in Va. GO PLANT LOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• amccour
    16 years ago

I accidentally killed most of my spiderplants off this year by not giving them enough sunlight. There were, originally, a bunch in the basket they were in, but now I'm down to three. Those three are doing alright.

Anyway, I just waited till the vines started to die before I seperated the babies, and then I just stuck them in a pot of dirt. Some of them died and some of them took root. They're doing fairly well. I mean, the pot they're in was fairly small, but the ones that lived took over and I'm thinking about 2/3 of the ones I potted took hold. the ones with roots did a bit better but I think that was just because they were anchored in and not just sitting on the soil.

Spider plants seem fairly drought tolerant too. I left mine in my dorm over break, uncovered, and they not only survived but grew a lot despite not getting watered for three weeks.

• epipren
    16 years ago

1) leaving the babies attached to the mother plant, while sitting on moistened soil in a little starter pot.

2) Just cutting off the baby and putting into moist soil, with just a 1/4" indentation into the dirt.

The good news is both methods work! Method 1 seems to provide more vigerous plants sooner. I started with one large spider plant 2 months ago, and now I have 8 in pots, 5 more on the main plant, and that doesn't include the ones I just clipped off and threw away!

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

I have a baby spider that has recently rooted while still attached to the mother. If you look close you can see the stem from the mother to the baby.

{{gwi:72131}}

Billy Rae

• lindseylu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for the great tips! And "greattigerdane", the photo is excellent. That's one healthy plant! I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll start "making the kids leave the nest" right away!

Gratefully,
    Lindsey :)

• obxgirl
    15 years ago

I just got a spider plant starter at Home Depot 2 weeks ago...They had tons of them lined up. The guy (employee) said oh those go fast. They are easy to grow. So my eyes got big and I sd to myself...ok I'll try one! So here I go picking out the most healthy looking one , ran home, hubby and I put it in fresh new soil (indoor/outdoor soil) in a terra cotta pot not too much bigger than what he was in! I watered him once or twice since he has been here. I looked at him today to water him again and some of the tips of the leaves are black???? What does that mean? I dont have a garden, but I'm a amature at house plants! Did I burn him in the new soil? He is in medium sunlight ??? So I dont think he is getting too much sun? Please advise. I do not want to kill the poor thing!!! lol! TIA!

• User
    15 years ago

Sorry to tell you this, but it may be too late. I think the black leaves are rotting.

This is a plant that should be in plastic, not clay to help conserve the water; but should be allowed to dry out btwn waterings. I suspect you've overwatered it.

Also, it's not such a fan of direct sun, I think it'd prefer more bright but indirect light, not direct sun.

I'm not trying to be mean, but don't know why you felt the need to change the mix (I don't know what indoor/outdoor soil is) or the type of pot, when it seems you folks were too new at this to know what/why you were doing this.

Cut all the black stuff off & pls., STOP WATERING FOR at least 7 days & let the plant try to recover. If it starts to smell bad, I'd say you're too late.

Perhaps do some reading up on general houseplant care BEFORE buying & or repotting other plants.

Also FYI, it's generally customary here to start a new thread when it's a different question. Hers was abt the babies, yours is for general help.

I hope the plant makes it!

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

If, as you say, the tips and only the tips are black and dry, then it's probably not a big deal. They do this, they're pretty sensitive to chlorine and possibly fluoride too. I would just try to set water out for about 24 hrs before you water it. What I do is prepare my water in watering cans at least the night before. This way, the water is room temp and the chlorine has had a chance to dissipate.

If it is black and mushy at all, then it might be rot. I'm not inclined to think it is rot because A) you've watered it twice in two weeks, which is basically once a week and B) it's in a clay pot that is similar in size to the one it came in, and soil in clay tends to dry out faster than soil in plastic. This situation doesn't scream overwatering to me.

In any case, here's a tip. Wait until the soil looks dry, and stick your finger into the soil about an inch or so deep. If you feel moisture, wait a couple days. If not, you're probably ok to water again.

Good luck!