Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ficus houseplant

Posted by sjbaby (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 2:00

I just bought a little one at the store with green and white leaves, i love it but how do i take care of it and what should i exspect?, I have heard they will lose leaves? i have lots of different plants but i have never tried a Ficus and dont want to kill it. I bought 3 different plants, still looking up the other two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ficus houseplant

Rather like the yucca, keep it in a bright sunny spot, but also keep it warm and out of draughts if possible.

They like to be kept fairly wet - never let the soil dry out completely.

It will probably lose leaves initially - ficuses don't like change - then settle down. If it gets straggly looking, just trim off the bits that offend!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 9:56

Ficus doesn't mind change if it's a change toward the positive. If they're too wet, they like to dry out a little but not get completely dry. They like damp - never wet soils. If they're to cold or in too little light, they want it to be warmer and brighter - for those changes, they show their appreciation. For changes toward adversity - cold, wet, dim, too much salt in the soil, ..... they are likely to shed foliage as a response.

For more information about tending ficus in containers, follow the link below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about ficus

o

the branches the leaves fall off of, will they grow new leaves or should i trim?

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 8:15

If branches or leaves fall off, they're dead and of no further use to the plant. If your plant was healthy when it lost its leaves, and had enough energy in reserve to grow new ones, it will. If the plant was borderline in its viability, it likely won't. If your plant has a LOT of foliage, the impact of removing a few blemished leaves won't be significant, but if the plant is struggling to remain viable, don't remove anything that still has green on it - let the plant shed what it doesn't want.

Al

o

the branches still seem alive and good, will they eventually grow new leaves

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 17:03

I outlined the conditions under which the plant would and wouldn't be likely to push another flush of foliage in my post immediately above yours. Young plant material has a very strong "will to live" because it is almost ALL dynamic (living) mass, so you have that going for you. Be careful to keep the soil barely damp, never 'wet' while the plant recovers. Use a sharpened wood dowel pushed deep into the soil to test for moisture - and don't water until the plant is almost dry. Keep it warm and in bright light. These things and patience are the best you can offer.

Good luck. Be sure to read the link I left that will help you understand the things Ficus likes and doesn't like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Al

o

Thank you for the help, it has stopped dropping leaves and still has a lot of them, so hopefully it was just adjusting to its new home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here