Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perig

How to care for money tree with long leafless stem

perig
11 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all the great messages on this site. Learned a lot already!

I've had this braided money tree for over 3 years and it had been doing well. About 4 months ago we had little bugs on the tree that infested our house so we move the tree outside on our patio for about 2 weeks. It was pretty cold outside... After that we moved it back inside. The bugs are gone but the tree lost all its leafs on the longer stem that is about 5 feet tall. See attached image.

I believe 3 of the braided stems are dead as they feel very dry and they have no leaves or branches out of them. The other 2 started to create a lot of new small branches and leaves and are growing nicely.

A few questions.

- Should I cut the long stem all the way down even though it does not seem dead? Should I cut it half but not all the way and can it crate new branches and leaves then?
- Should I remove the dead braided branches? Could they possibly rot if I leave them there? I don't want to damage the new branches though.

I want to get the tree looking nice again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• perig
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I attach another image of the braided part of the tree.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hello!
    Don't prune it yet. Wait until closer to mid-Summer.
    You'll want to allow the tree to regain some vitality before pruning. The growth that comes after the pruning will be healthier, fuller, and faster.

Josh

• perig
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh for the feedback.

OK so I guess I'll just let it be until this summer. how about those dead braided parts. Can I trim those without risking to damage the tree and do I risk to have those rot eventually over time as they are quite dead.

On the flip side, I can just monitor and if they start to become soft and mushy I can cut them then?

Thanks again.

• johngarment
    6 months ago

I have a similar question. Our money tree has about four long stems about four feet long with healthy leaves only on the ends. It can not support its own weight and bends over toward the floor It will also look silly with stakes holding the long stems with leaves up high. Summer just past, it is an indoor plant. If we cut the stems half way down or even closer to the base will it regrow or die?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

if you want more specific answers... start your own most.. and add pix of your plant..

otherwise.. propagate the tips.. and throw the old bottom part away... or cut it was back.. and see if it rebuds down low... it should do that. but it might take a long time..and be a rather ugly pot for quite a while...

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&q=moneytree+propagation&iax=videos&ia=videos

• johngarment
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Thanks Ken. Greatly appreciate your counsel. Its a rather ugly plant now with its stems starting to make a downward arc. Currently we are using some stakes to hold it partially up. When you propagate the tips, do you cut the top part with leaves and plant it in wet soil? Thanks so much for your counsel.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    6 months ago

@johngarment That the stems are reluctant to support their own weight is a very good indication the plant is receiving an inadequate amount of light. That the foliage is concentrated near branch apices (tip of branches/stems where extension growth occurs) could well be an indication that root congestion is significantly limiting your plant's potential.

* How long have you owned the plant?

* How long has it been in the same pot?

* What do you do insofar as fertilizer? when last? what product? what NPK %s? what dosage?

* Can you provide an image of the plant and pot? It would be very helpful.

* How do you decide when it's time to water?

* Do you water in small sips so no water exits the drain hole (the pot does have a drain hole?)?

* When you water, are you sure you're saturating the entire soil column and at least 20% of the volume of water used exits the drain hole?

* If the pot has a collection saucer, do you allow any water which exits the drain hole to be reabsorbed into the grow medium as the soil dries down?

Al