Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant and how to care for it?

Posted by perig none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 2:23

Hi,

A friend gave me this plant (see image) and I'd like to know what it is and how to care for it.

A little background. The plant stayed outside for a while and I believe it may have been over watered and may have been a bit cold as it was cold when we had it outside. The leaf that is smaller than the other 2 is fairly new but seem to be browning at the tip. The "trunk" part (sorry for my lack of wording) was very wet and kind of sticky when we put the plant back inside. I remove the wet, sticky, kind of rotten part that was covering the trunk leaving the new light green part exposed.

Anything special I can do to make sure it grows stronger and grows new leaves?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant and how to care for it?

Dieffenbachia picta Also called Dumbcane

o

I know from experience not to put dieffenbachia into a cool room in the winter. I had one which did fine in the living area but suffered greatly when I moved it to a colder room. Improved when moved back to warm conditions.

o

Agreed, Rose. Being on the floor would be the coldest spot. It also may need more light, and don't allow water to sit in the drip saucer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here