Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Anybody Still Got Their Poinsettia 2012?

ninecrow
12 years ago

I Have Still Going.....

{{gwi:72203}}

Photo Taken on the 14 of Jan 2012

Comments (41)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Is that Draven? If so, you need to tell everyone how many years you've kept him going.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is Rhizo....
    11 Years and Counting....
    NC

• mark4321_gw
    12 years ago

I saw this while driving by. I came back later with a camera. This was a few days ago, a block from the train station in San Carlos, CA (25 miles S of San Francisco). I have never seen one outside anywhere near this nice.

{{gwi:72204}}

The owner/grower came out and we hat a chat for a while about the plant's history. Apparently it's never been this colorful this late.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW!!!
    Wish Draven Could be like That!
    Thank You for Sharing

• mark4321_gw
    12 years ago

So I guess this is about a month and a half later--the Poinsettia looks even better...

{{gwi:72205}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now THAT is What I'd Call FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Thank You SO Much for Sharing....

I SO Know what You Mean about Them Getting Better and Better, Draven is Doing the Same....
    Photos to Follow

• Boby Huffard
    12 years ago

Just took this picture a minute ago. I am thrilled that we are still enjoying these. Since I am able to keep other plants going in our sunspace/greenhouse, I wonder if I could just allow these to become shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:72190}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Draven as of Just Now....

{{gwi:72206}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Draven has Had His Cut Back for 2012....
    Oh Man Does He Look Sad...

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

So, Ninecrow, what is your secret? I managed to keep my 2010 poinsettia alive through May 2011, and my 2011 p. is still looking good for now, with small new leaves, but the branch tips appear to be shriveling. The old and new one were kept near an east-facing window, but we moved at the end of March and the new one is now in a southern window. Because of an overhang, it doesn't get direct sun. Tips and tricks? :)

Nancy

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brodyjames

Sorry for late reply, I've been thinking on how to Explain

I'm Not Realy Sure, Have a Good window Prosition "spell?> I Guess....
    Think its South East...
    Sun Rises in one corner sets in the other...

Take a Lookie at this linky

http://www.als-gardencenter.com/index.php?cID=704&__search=1

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Ninecrow,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the link you provided. Out of 3 plants, two are still going strong and I have officially called "time of death" on the 3rd. :s

Nancy

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, Oh NO re 3rnd Point....

Draven Has been Repotted [hasn't really grown since cut back] So now We wait and see what happens......
    Hope This Helps Him

11 years ago

Nine, remind me....when do you repot your plant and do you prune the roots when you do so?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo
    Normanly I'd do Repot and Cut Back at the same time... This time I did Cut Back 1st. It'll be Interesting to see the End Results as the New Shoots haven't grown much at All! Normamly They'be Twice the size They are by now...

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Draven is WAY Behind.... ***SIGH***
    The Way things are going, I might HAVE to Leave Him UNbloomed This Year. I HOPE Things Will Improve But.........

Any Updates on Yours Guys?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Hi Nine! Still following this thread, even though mine crapped out on me. Insects I believe. Will try again this fall/winter. Sorry to hear about Draven. Why do you think it may not bloom?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shoots are Tiny.... Only a cm or two if that...
    Maybe it's the Stuff He's in, Bro Very Kindly Repotted Him for Me as I Couldn't...

I'll post Photos in a bit....

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone? As Light Control is Coming...

Don't think I'll be doing it the year as Draven is Way WAY Behind in EVERYTHING, I'll settle for Him to Survive and Grow Strong for Next Year.... ***SIGH***

Will be on the Look out for another Red This Year...

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not doing Light control this year, I'll just be Happy if Draven Lives....
    I Was in hosp when the Repot time came around... Got done VERY Late and Bro Used Garden Soil (Clay Gunk) instead of Compost that I said to use...
    Waterloged, que Stunted Growth....
    So I've mixed what I had in with the Gunk, He has Started to Regrow....
    So Now I Wait

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Here's praying you are doing better and, hopefully, perhaps Draven as well. I might have been inclined to have gotten rid of all the gunk and used an Al's mix instead.

tj

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tj. I'm OK Thank You.... Just Flatbound, 1st Floor flat you See with NO Lift... ***GRUMP***

It was That Mix or Nothing Didn't have enough compost, Bro was going to buy some More for Me...

Any Updates from AnyOne Else???

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

BUMP!!!

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Hi, Ninecrow,

Well, #2 died back in July...don't know what happened, and #3 is slowly on his way out. Don't know if it was the change in potting medium or ? I'm a little disappointed, but now I know that I can keep one alive for ALMOST a year, lol! I eye up new ones each time I'm at the store, so this year I think I'll get a few different colored ones to play with. If I can get them through to spring, they will be potted in the ground like (I think) AmericanGolden does, since we're in the same zone and state. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting new plants!

Nancy

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm Afraid Draven is No More.... ***CRY***

11 Years Was a Good Inings Though....

11 years ago

Oh NO! I'm so sorry to hear this, Ninecrow. All of your years with Draven inspired a lot of people to experiment with reblooming their own poinsettias.

I hope that you are feeling much better, friend. Are we going to see a Draven II?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Sorry Ninecrow. Guess they don't have old age in their genes.
    11 years is a good ride though!

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that! Normally, I'd say, "Oh, it's just a plant", but when you've had one for as long as you have, it truly is like a family member! I hope there is another one in your future, since you're obviously so good at growing them!

Nancy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear this news, Ninecrow. If you are doing better, that is a plus, though.

tj

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry you lost your Draven. Hopefully you are well, and can look forward to a new Draven the Second.

When I lived in Tempe there were a few nice poinsettias growing in people's yards, but I don't think any were as nice as the one that mark posted. And with the jades, too!

• hippeastrumadmirer
    11 years ago

Could I please Obtain a valid message, or if you have a poinsettia plant could you make a video of you hand pollinating it and upload it on youtube, please :)

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

Hi, I just saw this posting and would like to share my baby too. I don't have it named, maybe I'll call him Walter...(smile)...but I've had it for going on 6 years now. It was a gift from an old friend at the time in a 6" pot. It has since been potted up, and the huge pot he's in now was given to him last fall. Because he's had a hard time adjusting to his new home, I did not give him light treatment this past winter. The few colored leaves he has occured naturally just from where he's sitting.

It's April and he's going back outside on the porch in a couple of months, so this shot is right before his haircut.

The little one in front was sent to me from the same friend this past Christmas. It arrived Dead-on-Arrival, so I thought. But I tucked it in on the edge and it does seem to be coming to life.

Also, this is the first picture I'm trying to download into the forums, so if it doesn't show up, bear with me, and I'll try it again.

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

hhhm didn't show up and I have no idea why...it showed up in the preview pane. Can you see the picture?

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I just saw this post also and since I did get mine Dec 2012 I thought I'd post, mine dropped all its leaves at the end of Jan. so I cut it back hard and here she is today, I can only hope she will live a long life

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

Okay...now I'm really frustrated. I've uploaded this picture to Photobucket, but GW won't allow me to download the HTML (whatever that is) because it's too long. I've searched the frequently asked questions about uploading/downloading photos...but I must really be stupid because I cannot figure it out.

Can anyone explain this so a 2nd grader can understand it....strike that....better make it .....so a fifty year old can understand it?

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

how about this try?

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, there's Walter! Can you see him?

Christine - that's fine looking youngster you have.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

VERY nice plant! Walter's a keeper!

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Thanks runs, I only hope someday mine will look like Walter

• Price2013
    10 years ago

Yes, my Poinsettia will be 7 years old at Christmas 2013

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

7! Nice job!