Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjbaby

mice

sjbaby
10 years ago

I hate it but every winter the mice from the field get in the house, and this year they are tearing apart my plants eating the roots. I cant seem to find any thing to stop this that wont damage the plant, any one ever have this problem?

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I know I'm not telling you something that you don't already know, but you need to work on ways to 1) get rid of the mice, and 2) prevent more from getting inside.

What have you tried so far?

I've had mice invade my greenhouse in the past and they can wreak havoc very quickly! I had to place some poison stations inside the greenhouse, plus surround the bottom with hardware cloth.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Sj...I detest mice, and yes, they dig soil to get roots.

I discovered evidence after soil was scattered on shelves and tables.
    I also found mouse droppings behind the fridge and stove.

Field mice, somehow sneak in our house around autumn or once temperature drops.

Rhizo, (Hi Rhizo,) is right, you have to find a way to rid disgusting, disease carriers.

I set out d-CON. Believe me, I detest chemicals, but there's no natural way to keep them out.
    Mouse traps capture only one mouse, but I for one do not want to detach a trap for fear of touching the rodent. Plus, it's disgusting.
    The same applies to sticky traps.

Because we have pets, poison is kept in areas they can't get to. Behind the stove, etc.

I don't know if mice climb walls, lol, but they manage to reach plants on window shelves. Shelves are nowhere near the floor.

Speaking of the floor...I also found tiny holes that mice dug in. And soil on the floor.

Good luck, Toni

• ingeorgia
    10 years ago

One natural way to get rid of mice is with a cat. We have cats and since they moved in we haven't had any more unwanted visitors in the house. The outside cats take care of the outside mice. If cats aren't your cuppa tea you might try:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mouse Away

• sjbaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we cant use poison and cant have a cat, hubbys small dog catches some as does my big dog ( part of why we cant use poison) and no matter what we try we get atleast a few every year, i hate them they get into every thing but this year is the first they have gotten into my plants, we use sticky traps and that seems to work for us, i am just agrivated i have lost a few good plants and have a few that i am trying to keep alive. just wondered if any one had any ideas.

• plantastic
    10 years ago

One winter I had a mouse infestation. Reluctant to use poison because of pets, I bought several of those ultrasonic things you plug into electrical outlets at Walmart. Yes a big outlay but they last forever almost and the mice went away. The dogs and budgie seemed unaffected by the sound, which I could not hear anyway.They use hardly any power. You can't use them if you have hamsters or other rodent pets though.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    You have my deepest sympathy. Have never seen a mouse but have waves of rats . in my case it's a year around problem due to the growth around the house and year around warmth as well as a bird feeder . have never found a good solution so use large traps . i tried poison a couple of times but found they died inside the walls much worse problem lol. Have to be careful how they are set due to pets and the occasional catching one by the tail . Also have raccoons ,possums,squirrels , and the occasional armadillo though I can keep those out of the house lol traps are the only thing I've found effective but the attached GH means there will always be more lol Good luck with the problem!! gary

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Not to sound like an extremist, but...

A word of caution with mice/rat bait...these poisons make the rodents groggy and thirsty. They stumble out in the open looking for water where they are easy prey for hawks and owls who then suffer from internal bleeding after ingesting them. Now you've lost a natural predator. Yes, a trap kills only one but its quick, you empty it, reset it and kill again.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: For example

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I think they're more expensive, but I believe there are kill friendly traps that will "trap" the mouse/mice in a container like device and you can then take it/them somewhere else and release it/them. I don't know how extensive your problem is so this may not work. It's just a thought. ;)

Planto