Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corry_engelbrecht

New Fittonia dying/wilting

Corry_Engelbrecht
11 years ago

Hello! First post here and I'm not used to this type of a forum setup, so bear with me, please. I bought a small Fittonia (first one for me) about a week and a half ago, and as I do with almost all plants I buy, immediately repotted it. It looked fantastic when I bought it, but quite quickly the leaves began to droop and wilt, and not all but a few leaves look TERRIBLE. I originally had it about 8 feet away from an east window with white, closed blinds because I'd read it prefers low light (I've since read several different things and don't know what to believe). When it started to droop, I moved it to a south window, but it only gets indirect light. I've had it over a humidity tray from the beginning and I've kept the soil moist but not soggy. I mist it every day or every other day. Am I doing something wrong? I can get a picture up tomorrow night if you would like. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (44)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi Corry, welcome to Gardenweb!

I'm fairly new to this plant also, but can tell you it can take some direct sun in AL in the middle of summer, in the morning or evening. So it sounds like your plant may not be getting enough light, but without knowing where you are, it's hard to make comparisons. Unless it gets a sunburn, more light should be fine.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Corry & Welcome,

I've grown a fair amount of Fittonias & can tell you they are moisture hogs. I've only done well w/ them in terrariums or in humid bathrooms. IMO open air is too difficult to keep them moist to the levels they want. I otherwise use humidity trays & never found that enough for them.

Given the above, I'm guessing it's that &/or the mix you're using. I find it unlikely it'd wilt from lack of light. You said you repotted, what kind of mix pls? Very peaty? If so, could it have hardened off making it impossible for the plant to drink?

I believe these plants like bright, indirect light. Mine have done well on the edge of west windows, including frosted west windows.

I would not give them direct sun, I seem to recall something abt them being ground cover in woodlands, something like that.

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I repotted it in a plain, run-of-the-mill potting soil. Scott's brand, I think. I can't find much else around here -- thinking I might have to order stuff to make my own mix when I can afford it. Here's a pic of the plant. Ignore the sad looking coffee tree behind it (it came in the mail that way and I'm hoping to save it!) I live in an apartment and only have east and south windows. In this picture it's about 2 feet below a south window. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 level building, and my floor is half underground, so the windows are sortof high. I'll try to find a clear plastic bag with which to tent it until I can find a more suitable terrarium, and see if I can save it. I really liked this plant before it wilted. I LOVED the red veins on the dark green leaves. So if I can't save it, I hope I can find another one and do it right this time!

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I missed that first reply, sorry! I'm in northern Illinois. And thank you both for your replies!

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, one more picture. Here it is minutes after repotting.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

That's a great pot choice for it--really sets off the red veins. I don't grow these, myself. I can say, as a fellow buyer of houseplants in winter, that we rarely know what happened to the plant before it came into our care. Who nows what kind of temps it was exposed to during shipping to the retailer, etc. It may have nothing to do with you. (I have no idea, again because I've never grown this plant.) I would try again, once the weather warms up. Meanwhile, can you cut off those collapsed stems and try to root them in water or damp perlite?

Amanda

Amanda

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I think it's thirst, does that pot have a drainage hole?

Pls. read the ingredients, they may have a wetting agent in them (might might be too wet), but they don't always say.

It may be too late, but I'm thinking about what else might help.

11 years ago

I think ignoring the coffee tree in the background could be a mistake since there are other plants with problems.

Is it possible you were a little too aggressive trimming the roots when you got it (if you did that?) If not that, I'd think it's drowned/suffocated from the roots. Did the pot it came in have a drain hole? In both pots, soil looks soggy from the dark color, and especially so when compared to a little bit of lighter, not wet soil at the edge of both pots. But, that was really fast, a week and a half?...? Really not sure since that's faster than even I've killed a plant in soggy peat before, thought I was the champ.

When a plant wilts this badly, even when it's just because you forgot to water, it's sometimes fatal. Not sure this poor plant can perk up but hope it does!

The palm is much less forgiving but looks like it's getting yellow tips, or is that just camera flash?

Could it have gotten really cold at the store before you got it? Looking at the pic of it when Fittonia was perky, it looks to me like there's damage starting to show in several of the leaves. When you first got it home, was it really heavy and wet? I'm not sure your plant was perfectly healthy when you brought it home. Can't tell if these spots are camera flash or the beginnings of yellowish spots.

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I said to ignore the coffee plant because, as I said in my OP, it came in the mail nearly dead. It's not anything I did. In fact, it looks better now than it did, especially after I pruned off a lot of dead stuff. And yes, the soil on both is moist -- I'd just watered them. Everything I've read on both of them said to do so. It's not soggy. And those could be yellowing spots in the 'before' picture, or it could be pixelation. Hard to say. It was taken with a camera phone under florescent lights. I *did* buy the Fittonia from Walmart, so I don't have expectations that it was treated fabulously at all. Anyway, I tented it, just in this afternoon, parts of it *have* perked up a bit. I'm currently on the lookout for a more permanent solution. Oh, and and this point I can't remember how soggy/wet/heavy it was when I got it, to be honest. And yes, it was a week and a half and not longer. I bought it on payday.

11 years ago

Sorry, I try to refresh my memory before I write stuff but

" it came in the mail nearly dead."

didn't notice that part of what you said.

Also sorry if my tone came across as terse. I absolutely didn't mean to sound that way or give you the impression I thought you were doing something wrong, got my Fittonias from WM too. Any plants I buy from there are either drowning wet or about deadly dry. Just don't want you to be too hard on yourself for something that may not be your fault.

Not sure what you're using for a tent but if it's not visually appealing, maybe an aquarium could be a way to provide extra humidity while still being able to see your pretty plant well. Sit the pot in there with a little pebble tray and mostly cover the top, take it out to water well. If you don't like that idea, maybe a glass cloche would help.

Sharing your excitement about the perking up! Good to hear.

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

Hello Corry,

I am currently trying to save my grandmother's fittonia. Her caregiver was overwatering it. I repotted it and cut off the big leaves. I see some new little leaves sprouting. I am hopeful that it will make it. I hope yours makes it too! Please update us on its progress as it recovers.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I've got a Fittonia I've had for 6 or more years and have found it to be what I call a "cast iron plant". They are quite tough. Mine gets no care other than a couple of years ago I noticed heavy rains seemed to have washed a lot of the soil out of the pot, so just topped it up. It get direct morning sun up close to midday and has no problem with that. More than likely yours was just reacting to the repotting and will come good. I'd give it a bit more time.

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@purpleinopp: It's all good. I think I was starving when I read and replied, so I was grumpy and probably shouldn't have been replying at the time anyway. Sorry if I came off defensive. It's currently tented with a gallon-sized ziplock back, which really isn't big enough, but it's all I can find to work with at the moment that's clear.

And update: when I got home from work this morning (I work 3rd shift), one of the three stems was pretty much fully perked, but the other two still weren't. Giving it another day or so before I decide anymore on what to do. Here's the pic.

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here it is in it's tent at 11pm tonight as I was rushing out the door. I'm out of town for a couple of days now so I won't be able to check on it til sometime Friday.

11 years ago

I know all about grumpy moments, all good, no prob. Looks like the tent's helping. Hope it's a good trip!

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, after reading up a bit on terrariums, I'm discovering that I *might* just have a container that would work. I'll have to check the size when I get home. Otherwise, I now want to start a couple of terrariums anyway, so I'll be on the lookout for some good containers! :P

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

That looks much improved--great save. We'll look forward to seeing and hearing about the terrariums as you create them.

Amanda

• Corry_Engelbrecht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got home and now TWO of three are fully perkified! :D Other one is still limp, but I guess I'll give it a bit more time and see how it goes.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Corry,

How did everything work out with this plant? You mentioned the possibility of getting a terrarium. Did you end up doing that?

These are tropical rainforest plants. So they like a canopy of shade but some fairly bright indirect sun and high humidity. Plants should also be allowed to become fully dry between waterings, sort of like succulents (except this isn't one...go figure). They don't like soggy soil or dampness. They don't take very well to drastic changes and are easily shocked by cold water and things like that. Hence the name "Nerve Plant." Pretty prissy for a plant, isn't it?

Someone recently gave me a green and white lacy fittonia and it's losing all its white color. I'm in hot humid Caribbean climate. See thread here:

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-id-variegated-plant-dsvw-vd~3724401[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-id-variegated-plant-dsvw-vd~3724401)

Regards to all!

- Maria Elena

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

These plants do love water. And it might be suffering since it was recently re potted.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

Hi, there, lmontestella from my birthplace, the Big Apple!

Yes, I did see that ... Just wondering how things worked out for Corry, nonetheless. Thought we could get some valuable "been there, done that" insight from this user. These responses all comprise one huge database that's always beneficial to newcomers and, in this case, to fittonia newbies, like me. I'm hoping Corry is still around.

All the best to you!

• Amir Arjmandi
    7 years ago

Hello friends
    Who knows what causes a yellowing of the lower leaves this fittonia ?
    And what to do when the leaves are good ?
    This is gift terrarium , I 'm very worried ...
    Please help me ... thank you ...

• Jasmine H.
    6 years ago

Mine looks EXACTLY the same (yes, I know how old this is but I'm bored & researching on my fittonia so I'm going for it). The plant looks beautiful and healthy except for a few of the very bottom leaves which are just as yellowed as in that pic. Any ideas as to why? If anyone's still out there..?

• Sheena L
    6 years ago

Hi, yellowing of the leaves is caused by over-watering.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Pls show the Whole thing, so I can see the size of the glass. The yellowing is a drainage problem, it's being kept too wet & there's no way for it to drain. Sorry to say it's just a question of time before it fails.

While it's a nice idea, it wasn't carefully prepared, w/ no layers, no drainage materials. You weren't advised to open it periodically to let some air circulate.

If mine, I'd unpot the whole thing, place it in a normal plastic nursery pot w/ appropriate mix (look up mix for Fittonias) & then put it in the glass, it MIGHT make it.

• Jasmine H.
    6 years ago
    I have mine in a ceramic planter with one drainage hole. I constantly pour the water out after watering, so it doesn't sit in a soggy mix. I try spraying it a few times a day, after reading about the humidity factor, but not sure if that really helps. I rarely water it, but it takes awhile to dry out between waterings, could be because of all the spraying on top? mine is not in a terrarium and sits in a north facing windowsill. it looks pretty good, but I feel like it's lost some of its color and luster, if that makes sense. I'll try getting a pic on here, so maybe someone can advise me on what I'm doing wrong, or possibly right even?
  • Jasmine H.
    6 years ago
    sorry for the unclear pics, its my phone. but can you see how some of the leaves look almost curly? maybe they've always looked like that & now I'm just paranoid about killing it so scrutinizing everything possible, I don't know. but I've read that it's destined to fail if not in a terrarium, is this true? if you can tell from the pics, do you think mine looks healthy? I've never had one of these before and am a very novice "gardener" (dare I even use that word for myself), so I don't know what I'm doing!!
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

I don't see a problem, not w/ curling leaves anyway. I believe these plants would do better in a plastic pot over a pebble tray.

I don't mist at all, don't think that's helping. It needs to dry a bit btwn waterings, if it never gets the chance to do so, it's likely to rot.

I've only succeeded w/ Fittonias like this in terrariums or the bathroom, next to shower. I lost one last Spring from a bit too dry too often.

When you next repot you could add even more Perlite.

• Jasmine H.
    6 years ago
    wow that's all great information. thank you so so much for your words of wisdom!!
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

You're welcome, happy to help.

Forgot to say these plants don't want strong light or direct sun; they do well on the edge of a window or in bright, indirect light. Enjoy.

• John Weber
    5 years ago

These are the trickiest plants alive. I took clipping a week ago from Walmart of a White Anne Fittonia. Mist regularly (1-2x day) and it’s in water propagating. In indirect sunlight on a SE bound window. Every day it wilts then every evening it perks right back up. It’s starting to show signs of rooting so not sure why it does this but hey it was free clippings and not dead yet

• Eumar Jesús
    5 years ago

I bought one last week as well in Walmart. Re-potted it and fainted as in your pic... Mine ain't dead yet I think she's just complaining about the replanting. But yeah, definitely a very delicate plant to take care of...

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

Fittonias are the hardest plants to grow. Who needs all that extra stress in their life?

• HU-52452118
    5 years ago

Hi everyone! Fairly new to indoor gardening and new to this site (though frequently read it).

The exact same thing happened to me. Yesterday bought 2 Fittonia at Wal-Mart. Last night repotted them and now it's totally falling over, drooping and wilted. Looks exactly like the one Corie showed.

will try to attach a picture but I'm not sure how.

Sorry. Before coffee and can't get the accidental photos .

• HU-52452118
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone!

New to site though I've been reading it for awhile.

The exact same thing happened with today Corie. Yesterday bought these two Fittonia at Wal-Mart. They looked fine. had checked for root rot, ,pests, .etc. repotted last night and this morning they are drooping and saggy.

The white anne the backbackground I've had but it's recovering from cat so few leaves were all that were left.

assume the lighting acceptable because the white anne extremely finicky.

Thanks,

Lisa

• HU-246372496
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

New at growing houseplants and have a green and white fittonia that grew leggy so I clipped most of the larger leaves to propagate. A video said to just stick them back into the middle of the pot and by thenextday they were completely lifeless. So I took them and put them in their own little pot and then I took a cut water bottle bottom and just placed it on top of them. The next day they were standing up and bright. Now they've been in the water bottle "terrarium" for about week and a half and so thinking it was ok I removed it and the same thing happened. It was limp and lifeless again. Replaced the bottle and up again. Because I started it inside terrarium environmen am I not able to remove it?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Did you read through this thread? These are moisture loving plants & I know I have personally stated in this thread that I've only succeeded in growing these in Terrariums or the bathroom next to my Shower.

Short answer, no I don't think you can take the bottle off w/out the plant wilting again. They really need high humidity, Smart idea this bottle & nice job. Perhaps try to fund some glass vessel to use in place of the bottle for aesthetics (if you care abt that).

So you're new to Houseplants? These aren't really beginner plants as you're discovering.

Maybe pop over to the Terrarium Forum & do some reading. Don't know how active it is these days.

These plants won't propagate from just individual leaves alone. You need to make tip cuttings which are cuttings comprised of at least 2 pairs of leaves for these plants. Put them in soil or moist Perlite & seal in w/ a dome or Cling plastic like Saran to conserve their moisture.

• HU-246372496
    4 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Sorry, didn't read all of the posts. A little impatient and only skimmed through for info. Currently looking for a nice vessel because aesthetics do matter. I was given a very large pothos, that I propagated, from my cousin that started everything and trying to be like her and my mom who kept tons of houseplants. Again thanks for comments and will try the other forum too.

• Elena
    4 years ago

If you are near an Ikea, they have an inexpensive miniature greenhouse (called Socker) that works well for plants like this.

• KarenS, NYC
    3 years ago

Very pretty Ana, did you have a question or comment?

• Ana Pavlovic
    3 years ago

hi, for some reason I could not post a comment except through the app. My fittonia was struggling as well, until I put some rocks in the tray and filled it with water. I mist it daily and give it moderate sub and it thrives. However, I have never managed to propagate it successfully as it just wilts and dies. I will try posting a photo of an experiment and see if it works

• Ana Pavlovic
    3 years ago

Mine grows outside of a terrarium, I just put pebbles in the tray and fill it with water. I also keep it away from direct sun and mist often

• Ana Pavlovic
    3 years ago

and here is the experiment

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors