Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena ID and repotting help

Posted by Corry_Engelbrecht none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 6:47

Hi all! This was given to me several years ago by a former co-worker. I still keep it here at work, and it's grown a ton since then and sprouted three babies.

I *think* it's a Janet Craig? But I'm just not sure. Can you help me positively ID it?

Also, it has two pups (had three, another co-worker asked to take one a couple of years ago) and hasn't been repotted in oh, going on three years? So it's definitely due. I'm still deciding on this, but I kindof like the way it looks with the pups at the base. It's much more full, and without them that's going to be a bare stem. Is it ok to repot it and keep them there? Or should I absolutely remove them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena ID and repotting help

Brighter and closer up.,

o

And a shot of the pups and stem/trunk.

o

Looks like a Janet Craig compacta, a fantastic looking one! No need to remove the offshoots unless you want to.

o

Thank you! Is there anyone else who would like to back that up?

o

Purple is very knowledgeable about houseplants, Dracaenas included, so you don't necessarily need someone else to back her opinion up. But, if you really want a second opinion, you don't have to separate the offshoots, the Mama and pups will be fine either way. As you stated, it will be a bare stem without the pups. I would repot in the Spring as you are correct, it's due for a repot.

Planto

o

Thanks, Planto, but it looks like Corry's caught on to my clandestine conspiracy to try to kill his/her plant. Cat's out of the bag, oops! I'll try to be more sly on the next victim...

Smiles!

o

Purple,
Smiles ;)

Planto

o

Oh, no no! Please don't think my request was anything against purple! I just wanted to be really sure! Thank you!

o

Oh, also, I'm a 'her'. I know, hard to tell with the name. :P

o

Corry, I actually cracked up, thought it was funny. I admire when somebody says what's on their mind. And a little sass keeps things lively, I go there often. I don't blame you for not automatically trusting some stranger "out there" who happens to know how to type. Like that commercial "they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true." Don't we all wish this were so?!! You go girl!

o

Corry,
No hard feelings. :) Oops, you know what they say about assuming things, I thought you were a guy too.

Planto

o

Trust me, after 30 years of this name, I take NO offense to anyone thinking I'm a guy. I don't have the highest pitched voice for a female, either, so if I'm even *slightly* sick, customer service people on the phone call me Mr. *siiiiigh* At least I'll know never to name any future children I may have a unisex name! :P

Anyway, back on topic, I'm repotting my dracaena tonight, and I think I'll keep all the pups together. I really don't need to take one home. I have way too many plants ! :P Thanks for the help!

o

Corry,
Sure thing. :) I fan relate with the voice... had strep throat (well, even with just a cold), and I sounded like a guy.

Planto

o

Sweet. Sending good vibes to you and your plant(s)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here