Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water softener

Posted by asaund Cincy, oh (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 7:21

Good morning. I have a question about the water I use on my plants. My home has an ion exchange water softener that we have to load salt into. The kitchen faucet has a Pur filter and that is what I use to water my house plants, many cactus and succulents, rubber tree, pothos, and a few others. I'm wondering if water thru Pur filter is okay or should I get bottled water until I can use outdoor faucet? Thanks and take care. Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water softener

A water softener exchanges useful calcium and magnesium ions for sodium ions. Your faucet filter is most likely just a carbon filter. It will remove large organic molecules, but not the sodium ions you're concerned about. Do you have a water outlet upstream from the softener that you could use? Distilled or RO water are very good choices, but are a pain to buy and transport.

If your plants are doing fine with the water you're giving them, then your softened water may be good enough to get them through the winter. Watering until water runs out the bottom of your pots will prevent sodium and other minerals from increasing any further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here