Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help re my poorly fiddle leaf fig

Posted by Neeniej9 none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 7:29

Can you help

the bottom leaves of this have fallen off. They go brown at the tips and then fall off. I've watered recently but let it dry out as it recommends. I wonder if it's just too dark in here? I live in the Highlands of Scotland so we dont get much light in the winter. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help re my poorly fiddle leaf fig

Also the top leaves look rusty like this

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. I agree it sounds like your plant may not be getting enough light. That orangish leaf kind of looks like the turkey fig trees here when they get rust but I don't know if this kind of Ficus can get rust like that. Other thing to look at would be the roots. If they're staying soggy, especially in the colder temps of winter, the plant won't like that. Is there still some room in the pot for them to grow? A hole for excess water to escape?

o

It's unusual to get that orangey color at the top in when it ISN'T sunburn. I'd guess you have root rot or spider mites. If it's flecked with silvery and orange spots, check for spider mite webs and take appropriate steps. If it's root rot, since it's already at the crown, you may be too late. Are you seeing any fungus gnats around the soil?

Good luck, keep us updated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here