Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mf_doom

Is This Where I'd be Able To Get A Palm I'D'?

MF_DOOM
11 years ago

Have two palms, would like to know how big they eventually get.
Thanks.

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Are these containerized palms? If so, this is a great place for an ID. A couple of good images are necessary.

• MF_DOOM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have these two in to large of a pot, as is obvious...I am planting them down...right now. Made a nice mix of potting soil and pool filter quartz sand for them. You can see that the shorter one has more robust leaves. It is smaller because it was in a tiny container, forever.

Thanks again.

{{gwi:72495}}

{{gwi:72496}}

{{gwi:72497}}

This post was edited by MF_DOOM on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:03

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Your palms are Chamaedorea elegans, AKA Parlour Palm. I can't tell you how high they will become (I don't know myself).

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Yes, looks like parlor palm to me too. If you take the attached saucer off of the pot, that will help a lot. The size of the pot looks fine, as long as the soil isn't retaining excess water and has some air pockets throughout. Trees need lots of space for roots.

The group below is a couple decades old, but spent many of those years in really dark corners. You can see its' pot is pretty big. Took this pic just before repotting and it was packed full of roots. I separated a few of the individuals, removed old soil, trimmed roots on all, and put primary clump back into the same pot.

11 years ago

Just realized I had a pic of the repotting in progress... and I exaggerated a bit above, inadvertently. Looking at this again reminds me that it was not possible to get all of the old, original peat out of the root ball, as it always has been every time I've tried. The knife was necessary to separate 4 trees from the clump, and I used it to make some slices in that hard inner ball.

11 years ago

This was what I ended up with.

11 years ago

After trimming, it looked like this before going back in its' pot.

• MF_DOOM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to pot down because all I ever read is that they like to be pot bound and feel the constriction...within reason. So over time will the daughter plants, or suckers, whichever is more appropriate, fill out the pot laterally? Meaning, will they fill out on their own like an African violet? OR would I need to separate and re-pot them. I just want the pot diameter eventually choked with them. Also, if they are both parlor palm, why does the shorter one display many different characteristics? Thanks again.

EDIT: May I have another plant identified in this thread so as to save clutter? Some forums go N-U-T-S when you do that.
    Thanks again.

This post was edited by MF_DOOM on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:24

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Purple...so you keep your parlor palm in complete shade? I have one in the house that was doing really good until I babysat a cat who shredded it. Now I'm waiting for spring so that it starts growing again.

• MF_DOOM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd's on these?
    Thanks guys.

{{gwi:72498}}

{{gwi:72499}}

{{gwi:72500}}

11 years ago

Ladylotus, while inside, these palms get about an hour of direct sun in the morning. Outside, I put this pot against the inside wall of the porch so only the first and last few rays of the day hit it. Otherwise it gets burned in more sun. Probably could handle a lot more sun in ND, and I might be able to ease it into more sun here but wouldn't know where to put it if I did.

MF, you may have male and female individuals. If you google images, you should get an idea of how they make slightly different flowers.

I can understand wanting a "full pot" look. It would be hard to say w/o seeing the roots how much smaller of a pot you could use. No plants like to be potbound but it can seem like it if the alternative is soggy peat. As long as the soil is porous and not retentive of excess water, a large pot is fine unless you just don't like the appearance.

The new pics, pretty sure the top one is a Dieffenbachia. The next may be a Kalanchoe.

• MF_DOOM
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a ton Purple.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'd agree, the second lot of plants would firstly be Dieffenbachia, or maybe Aglaonema. The second Kalanchoe.

About the palms, Chamaedorea elegans are single stemmed palms, but often a hand full of seed is put in a pot to give that full appearance. So you won't get any more in that pot unless you put some more seed in. They can grow up to about 2 metres tall, but not usually that tall as a house plant.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County