Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Watering

As is recommended often, one should water thoroughly in any free-draining mix. To the point of water draining out of pot. What would be best way to deal with this 'overflow' - obviously it's not a problem when plants are outside, but inside is another story. I use to just dump water out of saucer onto another plant, knowing that this may not be best thing to do.

Any suggestions?

Thnx.

Rina

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I make sure the saucers are large enough that I can water properly - so 15-20% of the total volume of water exits the pot. I raise my pots in the collection saucer so they're above the effluent that collects below, so no water that's passed through the soil can find its way back into the soil. The water that collects in the collection saucer is allowed to evaporate.

If you have only a few plants, carrying them to the sink or loading them on a little cart you can roll to the sink is another option. Most of my indoor plants are under lights over collection saucers in the basement, but those upstairs are watered/flushed individually & left to drain at the sink before being returned to their places, also in/on saucers in case there are a few drips.

Watering at the sink might also allow those growing in water-retentive soils to take full advantage of wicks; this, in order that they might water beyond the saturation point to flush the soil of salts w/o as much concern for impaired root function or rot due to soggy soils. Wicks 'fool' the excess water in soils into 'thinking' the pot is deeper than it really is. Water moves down the wick 'looking' for what it 'thinks' is the bottom of the pot and gets pushed off the bottom of the wick by water moving down from higher in the pot and wick. In order for wicks to be effective, they need to dangle a few inches below the pot until water stops dripping off the end of the wick.

Al

• Lamora
    12 years ago

My Spidy won't fit in the sink, the tub is the best place for her. I just let her sit until she isn't draining anymore. The hanger I have for her won't let me put a draining tray in it. But the other ones fit nicely in the sink and trays for after words.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Al

thank you for suggestions. I use saucers, most of them have a layer of pea gravel at the bottom so the pots do get raised too. I just thought that there may be more water draining out since the plants would be potted in free draining mix (most of my plants are not yet since I just recently came accross the info on soil here/from you; I am tempted to repot all of them but understand that I need to wait-time is not right to repot now).

I have about 55 pots inside, few of them very large, so to carry over to sink is bit too much. I have always done that with orchids (have only 4), which I water exactly as you are suggesting & letting excess drain out completely before putting back in saucers.

The wick idea sounds great to me & will work wery well as soon as I can put pots outside, I keep them raised from the soil. I have used wick in a pot with my small Benjamina tree, the pot is only 1gal & easy to keep raised. I also have 2 plants in 3gal & 5gal pots that I put wicks in & was able to raise (couple of pieces of 2x4 across the saucer...)
    Thnx.

Rina

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

{{gwi:15526}} Al

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area