Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repotting and/or dividing huge Philodendron

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 8:37

This plant has been in this pot way too long and I'm determined to finally do something I used to bring it outside for the summer until it got too heavy. I think that was about 4-5 years ago. So its way overdue. Notice the aerial roots coming out too.

I am contemplating whether I should divide it or root prune it?

I like the fullness that it is now (even though it needs a little help staying up!). I plan on reusing the same pot or maybe a new one but the same size. Over the years it has lost old leaves from the base.

I am also curious if I should place it lower so those aerial roots are below the soil level?

Actually I took these pictures a few months ago. The roots are bigger and part brown now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repotting and/or dividing huge Philodendron

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 15:31

This is a Philodendron selloum. Its natural growth pattern is to make a TRUNK and turn into kind of like a tree. It WILL turn into a tree in milder climates (like mine) where we have specimens in people's yards that have been there for 20+ years and are huge. They will also lay over on the ground and run sometimes, and trist and turn and make all sorts of convoluted trunk patterns if you plant them, say, near a pond or stream. SOme look pretty cool.

The purpose of the aeriel roots is to anchor the plant as it trunks so that it doesn't completely fall over. You should NOT cut these roots. They can reach the diameter of hot dogs and are stronger than ropes.

You plant wants to fall over because its a little leggy probably due to low light levels (for it, anyway). They like full sun.

If you can get someone to help you wrestle it out into the yard this Spring, you can undertake the job of unpotting it and separating the plants, it looks like you have 6-7 in there. Normally we only plant ONE by itself.

These will grow up a support, you can place some sort of heavy duty totem in there to prop it up. If I were you, I personally would ditch the "real" clay pot and repot it into one of those "fake" clay look pots that are 100 times lighter.

o
RE: repotting and/or dividing huge Philodendron

Thanks for the info and ID. Now that I look closely, I notice that the sections with the aerial roots are the sections with the longest trunk parts. That's fascinating that the plant knows it needs extra support as the trunk forms.

I thought that was just where old leaves have come off. So if it is a real "trunk", then I would not bury it in the soil when repotting, right? Keep the soil at the same level? I know with African VIolets as the "neck" develops, it is okay to replant and cover the neck.

Yes, it probably is time for a new lightweight pot. Maybe I will put 3 sections back in the new pot for the long term and use some divisions to put outside again in the nice weather and/or give to friends.

So is the plant generally tough? Can I treat the rootball with tough love (if needed)? Anything that has been in the same pot that long might put up a fight :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here