Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scsva

Bonnie Spider

scsva
12 years ago

Just wanted to share that I found a Bonnie Spider plant among the little 4 inch pots of EA plants at Lowe's yesterday. At only $2.98, it already had a bunch of little swirly babies so it must have been there a while. I couldn't believe it!

Susan

Comments (9)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Susan, Congrats..

Finding Bonnie is unusual..never saw one in IL. Toni

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've found them in the nurseries that have rarer plants but never expected to see one mixed in with EA little plants.

Susan

• Lamora
    12 years ago

Congrats! I love my Bonnie.. it is mixed up with the straight leaved spider one tho, but I am trying to get some babies going just from the Bonnie so I have one that has no straight leaves.. Is that rude of me?? Just wanting the one plant?

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Susan, do you live nearby nurseries that sell rare plants? Lucky you.
    We're left w/one nursery..most closed their doors.
    To add a new, rarer plant, gotta shop online. lol

Lamora, nope, it's not rude.
    What do you mean you want a Bonnie w/straight leaves?
    I wish my Bonnie's leaves had more curl.

The grass is always greener, lol. Toni

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live about 45 mins to 1 hour from Merrifield Gardens in Central Virginia. Awesome shop-3 locations-each better than the last. Huge places with each plant family grouped together. Large plants are a little pricey but they usually have small starter plants as well for some varieties. It's a must place to go for nice shopping adventure.

Susan

• flowerpottipper
    12 years ago

I found a hanging EA bonnie spider plant at Home Depot a few weeks ago, so of course I swiped it up cause I've never seen a Bonnie for sale anywhere else. Maybe it's something EA are getting more of? I'm not sure, but I knew I would kick myelf if I didn't buy it. It's a pretty big one, no babies yet, but that's okay. I still find it a beautiful plant with and without the babies, where as the other spider plants look boring without babies to me. Now I have four diffrent kinds of spiders. I use to kill them all the time, but I beleive I'm starting to get the hang of them..

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey Susan...It's nice having a nearby nursery..3 are even better. :)
    Is it a chain or family owned?

If family owned, prices are always a little higher than Big Box stores..BBS's buy large quantities, so they can afford lowering prices..Think about the number of HD's, Lowes, etc around.

The same applies here. We're down to one nursery. Large plants are pricier than HD's, but they also sell small 2-3" potted plant at decent prices. Some 2.00.

When I think about it..Our local nursery has basic to rare succulents in 2-3" pots for 2.00. Similiar, (not rare) 3" potted succulents at HD are going for 3.49. Hmm.

FlowerPot..HD had Bonnie's in hanging baskets for 14.99 and 19,99, depending on size.

They also had tiny, 3 or 4" potted Bonnies. However, they didn't have the curl Bonnie's do, so I passed it up. I have a Bonnie, but wouldn't mind adding more in the same pot..it's too skimpy. Toni

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni, it is family owned. It's such a great place to visit. I try to get there a couple times a year.

I saw another Bonnie today at Lowe's so it's good to see the rarer plants showing up.

I'm getting more and more into dracaenas now. There are a lot of these on the market now.

Susan

Susan