Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willows88

Rose Plant Deficiency?

willows88
10 years ago

Hello everyone, I'd like to run one more problem by the forum for some input, just to make sure that I don't mess things up.

We have an indoor rose plant that's been doing well for us now for about three years, transplanted about a year ago, and right now some of its leaves are showing signs of a nutrient imbalance. It's getting ready for spring, although it grows and flowers all the time, so it might just need a boost of fertilizer, but I want to make sure that this is the issue.

Here's the pictures! Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (10)

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And one more picture.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

You might or might not have a nutrient deficiency. If you do, it might be caused by either an actual shortage of nutrients or one of several cultural issues that is preventing uptake of individual nutrients. The first thing that comes to mind is, roses really don't like being grown indoors, so the plant might be rebelling because of where you have it living. If the plant hasn't been repotted, I mean really repotted with a root pruning and change of soil, it needs it. If you've been watering with small sips of water, the ratio of nutrients in the soil is probably badly skewed and the level of soluble salts very high.

There's just no way for anyone to tell with any degree of certainty just exactly what the problem is, so my suggestion is to review the basics and get the plant growing in its sweet spot, instead at the limits of what it's genetically programmed to tolerate, which is what is causing the strain. Strain uncorrected always leads to death, so if you really want to save your plant, you'll need to take a proactive stance.

I think the link below should be helpful. If you need more help or have questions, I can point you in the direction of some information on how to maintain woody material in pots over the long term. One thing - your plant would rather be snoozing the winter away in a cold garage with a little snow tossed on it now & then than in the LR or bedroom, or wherever it's growing indoors.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: An overview if you click me

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

OP, do not fertilize at this time. Let your rose sit on South or West window. If you have a soil humidity meter, check near the root ball. It needs to be in the green range. I see an entire cane turned black. That is scary.

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd like to post an update. Friday evening I took it to the bath tub in order to flush the soil with a large amount of water, in order to try restoring balance, in case the problem was any nutrient buildup. This in advance of the suggested repotting, which will happen as soon as we get to the store and find a bigger pot for it. (In the past it's responded well to life indoors and through winter, but I see now that wintering it would be healthier for it). In the meantime, since having posted last, it's even started blooming again, something it does several times throughout the year, regardless of season. :)

Now for the reason I'm posting; I'm incredibly, incredibly stupid. I left the office Friday evening having forgotten to take it back to its room, having left it there until the soil drained completely, since it took a long while to drain. Then we were gone from the office for most of the week and this morning I realize what I'd done. This means, unfortunately, that it wasn't exposed to any light at all. :(

It's back in the sun now, or light I should say, since it's cloudy and rainy out, but the tips of a good amount of leaves had already sagged and discolored, brown and then a border of yellow between the brown and the usual green. I don't think the damage will have been more than it can recover from, since this plant has always been really hardy and vigorous, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help it recover, besides being given full light again.

I feel like such a monster right now! :( Any input, even insults, are more than welcome. I've included a picture, too.

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

I think Al's advice is solid. I'd definitely recommend looking at the link he posted.

I don't think that it is that big of a deal that you left it in a poorly lit area for a few days. The way you are beating yourself up over such a minor mistake seems out of proportion to me. Spending a few days without light is not going to kill it. It might be a little setback, but the plant will be fine if you can keep it in good conditions from now on. If you want to help its recovery, you might want to take the flowers off and enjoy them in a little vase or something, so they aren't draining energy from the plant.

Personally, I would also cut back the canes and try to root some cuttings from them. I have at times been able to root mini roses in water, though others find it easier to root them in soil.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 9:54

I disagree that roses do not like to grow indoors. I have miniroses growing in true room temperature and they are thriving now. They are located at a unblocked south window.

Many plants need a transition period to adjust indoors. During the transition, the soil should be dry and airy. Give them as much light as you can. Once adjusted, the dryness and the heat are no problem.

I have pictures of my azaleas this year and the roses last year here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0714040427569.html

I will take some pictures of my min roses this year soon.

10 years ago

Actually, I'm on pretty solid ground saying what I did. No plant really likes being grown indoors. Given a voice, 99.99% of plants polled would tell us they would prefer to BE where they naturally occur, instead of in a setting as foreign to them as indoors.

Good going though - if you're able to do well with the diminutive roses indoors. I think that puts you well ahead of what we might expect from the main body of the pack. I think, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being those plants that just don't lend themselves to being grown indoors at all, and 10 being those plants being extra amenable to indoor conditions, the little roses would probably be around a 4.

Al

10 years ago

I didn't realize there were more posts than just JJJJs a couple up the thread.

I wouldn't beat myself up either, Willow ..... and certainly you don't deserve the mantle of 'monster'. Lol A couple of days of dark won't do any good, but they probably don't spell doom, either. Hopefully, it won't impact the root system beyond some impairment the plant can bounce back from.

The damaged tips are probably from the soggy soil conditions. Roots need O2 to absorb water and dissolved nutrients. When the soil is soggy, roots can't get enough O2 to move water efficiently, so the plants most distal parts die - usually leaf tips and margins.

You'll find some good tips here, on how to deal with soils that retain too much water. Pay attention to the parts about wicks, tipping the pot, and holding the pot over a sink & moving it downward & then reversing direction smartly upward. It casts a spell over the water in the pot and casts it out. ;-) Read about why that REALLY works at the link.

Unless you think the pot is circling the drain, I'd forego the repotting for a little bit, unless you live S of the Mason Dixon line, and concentrate on getting it a little fertilizer, keeping the soil in the DAMP zone - not wet, and keeping the plant in good light.

I agree with what SS said too, especially about pruning off blooms & buds (but no leaves) for now. I might wait on trying cuttings though, until the plant has some energy to spare. Cuttings are better (strike faster and more reliably) when taken from healthy parent material that's growing well.

Al

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input and encouragement, everyone. :)

It makes sense that the problem with the leaves may have been due to the soil being too soggy, since the whole reason it was accidentally left in the bathroom was because I'd flushed the soil with a lot of water, and then it didn't have the benefit of the sun to start using it.

Right now it's in the window, and would be soaking up the full sun if only the sun would come out... it's been perpetually gray for a couple weeks now... :(

This winter, the problem I think may have caused the issue I originally posted about was the soil being too wet for too long, since i had to move it to another room where it didn't get as much light, and I didn't have the sense to adjust the watering accordingly... For the past two years, except for the occasional spider mite infestation, the plant has always grown beautifully, bloomed beautifully, without problems... can't wait to see it get back on track, thanks to everyone's help here. :)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by willows88 (My Page) on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 13:36

In your case, it may be easier to just let them dormant over winter outside.