Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sour smell?

Posted by toowide (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 9:42

Hello. I have a plant that was given to me about 6 years ago and was told it is a peace plant or spath. ??? I dont know what the proper name of it, sorry. It has grown very large and looks so nice but I have just noticed a sour milk smell in it this morning. There is no children in my house to put anything in it and I have not done anything out of the ordinary with it, just water and sometimes fertilizer. It is not soaking wet. I let it get almost dry then water again and do not let it set in a puddle. I dont want to lose this plant so thought I would ask the experts here. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sour smell?

Have you ever changed out the potting soil in the 6 years you've owned it? The peat in houseplant soils break down eventually and become foul smelling. When that happens it's called "sour soil." Fresh soil is called "sweet soil." Unpot the plant, knock off the icky soil, and replace it with fresh potting soil mixed with perlite. :)

o
RE: Sour smell?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 18:27

Agreed. The sour smell is indicative of over-watering and/or anaerobic (w/o oxygen) bacteria activity in the root mass. Soils with adequate air porosity smell pretty neutral or earthy - soils that have structurally collapsed and that have inadequate aeration quickly begin smelling sour. Like Shiver, I would suggest you bare-root and repot into a fast draining and long-lasting soil.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here