Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
root pruning

Posted by bernsly none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 9:48

Hi. I'm a newbie. I've been growing houseplants for about five or six years now, but I'm starting to learn (finally) that just watering them and feeding them from time to time isn't going to keep some of my older and more beloved plants going. I've been reading a lot here and in other places for advice, and I want to thank you guys for all I've learned from you.

Here's my question: does anyone have a link, or can give instruction, on exactly *how* to prune roots? I've read that it's necessary on some plants and why, but I don't want to try anything without knowing exactly how it's done.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: root pruning

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 10:24

There is a long running thread at the 'Container Gardening Forum' that addresses primarily trees in containers, but at least 90% of the information is applicable to all plants in containers. It goes into detail regarding root pruning and contrasts a full repot with only potting up. If you have more questions, you can ask here or there.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More here if you click me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here