Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokieyank24

ID help and care please!!

hokieyank24
13 years ago

My roommate moved out and abandoned her plants... I have no idea what they are but I have tried to care for them as best as I can (very little knowledge here) I was sitting here one afternoon and the plant actually fell over onto the floor. I stood it back up as well as possible (leaning against a wall) and watered it... It seemed to revive a bit but still leaned. I then decided it needed a bigger pot (there were 6 plants in the pot with it) After repotting it with new potting soil it still seems to be leaning. I have a few pics as you can see before and after repotting. I also have no idea of the smaller plants that were also in the pot. There was an ivy that was dead and I threw that out but these spiky things seem to be thriving.

[IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u20/meevans2/2011-02-11_19-11-03_33.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u20/meevans2/2011-02-12_09-04-00_178.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u20/meevans2/2011-02-11_21-24-32_213.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (15)

• paul_
    13 years ago

Your pics did not come through. On this forum you can't use the [IMG] link. Instead, cut and paste the link photobucket creates with the "a" between the greater and less than than signs

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

I have no idea what the big guy is, but the little spiky guys look like Dracaenas to me (pronounced druh-see-nuh). They are very easy to care for. As I only have one and am not well experienced with this plant, I cannot offer advice,but just wait, and I'm sure someone else will chime in with some helpful tips.

Nancy

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

The big one is a dieffenbachia sp. Often when they get big they'll flop over, too much weight for the stem to support. I have one that is over six feet tall and since it was about four feet it would no longer stand up on its own but otherwise is healthy. Feels like a garden hose under pressure when I move it around.

The little ones look like Dracaenas to me too but the photos don't show them well enough to say for sure.

Normal basic care for both. Keep the soil damp but not wet, let them get moderately dry very four to six weeks but not too dry, You don't want the soil to start showing cracks or pulling away from the sides of the pot. When you water them water enough so that you see water running out of the bottom of the pot but then don't let the pot sit in the water. Half strength fertilizer very two or three weeks might be a good idea too.

Neither one would need nor want direct sun, bright indirect light is best for both, A little bit of sun won't hurt them but no more then a couple of hours a day.

Danny

• hokieyank24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks I have since staked the big guy and the others like i said seem to be doing well. thank you for your help

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Are you at VaTech? (hokie)? If so, perhaps they have a public plant clinic somewhere over there in the Ag. quad. Or call the greenhouses to see what kind of help you might be able to obtain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse services at VaTech

• hokieyank24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am at VT and never thought to use the horticulure garden as a resource... thanks so much for that suggestion.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

;-) That's the FIRST thing I thought of! (Hokie nation alumnus, Horticulture)

• hokieyank24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also an alumnus, currently working in athletics... HNFE

Hokie Hokie Hokie HI!

• houseplantlover86
    13 years ago

Hi, I hope someone can help me ID my unknown plant! Once ID'd I hope to find some good tips on the proper care...

I received this plant as a gift and have no idea what it is...its leaves are green, with almost teardrop shaped leaves, very similar to a pothos; but it has pink margins in spots with white striping (which sperates the pink areas from the green). You will notice from the photo that the leaves are predominately green, yet still variegated!

The mature, larger leaves are covering the smaller leaves and preventing them from reachong full size... My guess would be they are starved from good light, and they're stretching a bit in an attempt to get more. Some of the leaves are warping... there doesn't seem any pest issues at the moment. However, once I know what plant this is I will be able to care better for it! Can anybody help?
    Thanks! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:72723}}

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

I guess it is Alternanthera ficoidea "Party time", grows best in part sun or late afternoon sun in a well drained medium, its an easy and beautiful plant..

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hokie, when I try opening your links, I get an error message.

Houseplantlover..your plant is gorgoues..colors are amazing.
    Are leaves thick or thin?
    IF Izhar is right, and I believe he/she is, grow it as you would a Coleus. Do you plan on summering outdoors? If so, place in deep shade to start. In summer, they're heavy drinkers, 'outside.'

Izhar, I believe your ID is correct, however I thought Alternanthera leaves are thin?? HPL's looks thick.

Does anyone know if Alternantherea's are related to Coleus? Toni

• houseplantlover86
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone, it seems you found the plant!! Based on comparing my plant to photos on Google, they match up - despite my plant having much less 'hot pink' on the leaves! Should I be concerned with the stretching or the small size of the immature leaves?? More light, more water? I let it dry out in its pot, mainy because I wasn't sure exactly what I had.... without a doubt it was sold as is in a well draining medium. Very little peat is in it.

Thanks again for all the help!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Houseplant.. Altern/Joseph's Coat, are mainly used for annual, garden plants. When outdoors, they're grown in medium-bright light. Never, direct west or south sun.
    Indoors, 'winter,' they should be placed in the brightest light possible. During 'summer,' either set outside, or place in bright-indirect light. Harsh summer sun will scorch leaves.

In summer they're heavy drinkers. Since they're fast-growing, fertilize weekly or bi-weekly. You could start now, using 1/4-1/2 strength.
    The brighter the light, variegation will be more pronouned, and leaves will grow larger.

If there's anything to worry about, it's Spider Mites. Hose leaves at least once a week, inspect for webbing while you're at it. Beautiful plant..

As soon as they're avialable in garden centers, I'm going to get a few..lol. Good luck, Toni

• houseplantlover86
    13 years ago

Thanks very much Toni, for all your help! It is a pretty plant, I'm glad my friend was able to grab the last one for me. Good luck finding yours! =)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Hokieyank24..

HOW BOUT THEM HOKIES..... BYE BYE DUKE LOL!!!!!

What a great game...here's to "Hokie Nation"...

We are "Hokies as well" my son is at the game now....
    third year...and loving it!!!

Hokie Hokie Hokie High...

Just couldn't help myself....i know you understand!!!

I am part of the "757" nation...

Hope all is well with your plants...you do have a great source with your connections over there...

What a great night!!!! : )

Laura in VB