Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spent bag soil

Posted by bernsly PA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 9:54

I have always used bagged soil (usually the all-purpose Miracle Grow type). Every spring I start a new herb garden in my kitchen window, which means cleaning the spent soil from last year's herb garden out of the pots. Up until two years ago, I had an outdoor bed I could just mix the spent soil up in. Now that I live in an apartment, I don't have that, though, so I trash the dead roots and empty the soil into a bag. It's too dry to reuse, and last fall I thought I could just add some water and fertilizer and grow other houseplants in it, but I found out that's totally wrong (for some reason, the roots all got super waterlogged). How can I re-purpose this soil?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spent bag soil

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 10:36

As soils age in the presence of moisture, the particles become smaller and smaller. Water retention is directly related to particle size, so what you have left is probably forever inappropriate for use in a container ..... unless you used it as a VERY small fraction of a new soil that had a very high % of large particles. A soil like you describe could easily support a 6" PWT. That is to say that after the soil is fully saturated, the bottom 6" or more of the soil might remain completely saturated and airless. This means that if the soil supported 6" of perched water, if you used it in a pot 6" deep or shallower, 100% of the soil would be saturated after a thorough watering. Hopefully, that's not acceptable to you, because it surely isn't to your plants. ;-) That condition severely inhibits/smothers root function and very often causes rot issues, so you'd need to weigh the risks of using it in container media.

You might spread it on the lawn or 'donate' it to someone with a compost pile.

Al

o

If you are looking for environmental purpose. I do not know if your area garbage collectors have a day to pick up just this type of trash. My borough sells the compost every year. Maybe your apartment trash has a separate bin for something like mulch/compost.

If you have a balcony you could get a small decorative trash bin and start your own compost using the soil and kitchen craps and grow a pot of cherry tomatoes this summer.

o

You could spread it under a tree in your common area or at work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here