Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcotterl

Change soil

gcotterl
10 years ago

I just brought a plant that is growing in some kind of "nursery soil".

I want to grow the plant indoors in a container.

Should I remove ALL of that "nursery soil" (even from the roots) and use a good potting mix (like Gardner & Bloome "Natural and Organic" potting mix)?

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

What kind of plant and what do you mean by "nursery mix "?

I looked up Gardner and Bloom mix and I'm afraid that I, personally, wouldn't let it near a container. Most of the components are on the list of ingredients that work just fine in the garden, but turn into the enemy when tossed into a pot.

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a Coprosma repens 'Tequila Sunrise' Mirror Plant which is described as a good container plant that can be grown indoors with bright light.

I don't know what kind of "soil" or "mix" is in the plastic pot at the nursery.

I bought the GARDNER & BLOOMEî POTTING SOIL because the bag says it's "ideal for INDOOR & outdoor potting, CONTAINER planting..."

What other mix would you recommend?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

There are far more gardening products that promise what they can't deliver than there are products that deliver what they promise, so the only think on the bag that is of any significance is the list of ingredients. Based on the ingredients listed, we know that there is a very large fraction of fine ingredients, which means that it's likely that excessive water retention will disallow you from watering correctly, which is probably going to have a negative impact on root health/function and your ability to fertilize efficiently. Coupling that with the fact that your plant is probably going to balk at being grown indoors turns the odds for success from iffy to unfavorable.

I just left an explanation for you on another thread a day or two ago. It suggests the minimum standard for being able to call a soil 'good' at being able to water plants in that soil to beyond the point of saturation (so at least 15-20% of the total volume of water applied passes through the soil and out the drain hole, carrying accumulating dissolved solids (salts) with it, without the grower having to worry about root rot or impaired root function. If you can't water correctly, you'll be fighting the soil for the life of the planting.

If you can find it, Fafard's 51L or their nursery mix would be suitable because they have a large fraction of chunky particles that reduce water retention and increase aeration. If you can't, if you can find pine or fir bark in a suitable size, you can easily mix a batch of your own soil that will make life easier for you AND plant.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More info if you care to take a look - click me.

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where can I buy a pre-packaged potting mix (like Al's Gritty Mix, Fafard's 51 or Fafard's 52) in Southern California? (I live in Riverside CA; 60 miles east of Los Angeles).

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting