Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to repot Rubber Tree

Posted by tjsangel z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 10:13

Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a great weekend! I bought a really pretty Burgundy Rubber Tree (Ficus elastica) at Lowes yesterday. The roots are very bound up and coming out of the top of the soil. I know these plants can drop leaves if it doesnt like a spot its in or other changes. Should I repot now or wait til Spring? When I do repot, it will be one size up. Thank you!

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to repot Rubber Tree

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 14:09

For fastest recovery & to minimize possible root issues from damaged roots, tropical trees should be repotted and root-pruned in the month before their most vigorous growth, which would be very late Jun or early Jul in your zone. If you are simply potting up with minimal root disturbance, anytime the tree is actively growing is ok, but it is still best to undertake the chore just before most vigorous growth.

There is no need to immediately panic at the sight of tight roots on this tree. Ficus tolerates this condition well and roots readily fuse together so encircling/girdling roots are not usually much of an issue. Growing this plant tight also offers the benefit of shorter internodes and smaller leaves, making for a more attractive, compact, and fuller plant.

Al

o
RE: When to repot Rubber Tree

Thanks for the advice Al. I will be patient and wait til Spring to repot. I didnt want to ruin my new gorgeous plant.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here