Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother Nature at it...Again!

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 10:17

Photobucket
I take care of these two plants in exactly (I try hard) the same way on the same day every two weeks. Generally they look like the one on the left - "We need a drink!"
The one on the right looks as if it received more water from me last time; or from someone else in the meantime.
But I think that it is an example of "Mother Nature bats last".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother Nature at it...Again!

Morning Rona,

Very nice Spaths.

Are you saying plant #1 is the same as plant #2. Plant #2 is Spathiphyllum 'Domino'? Maybe I misunderstood...

I've never seen a Domino with so much yellow, very very nice. Perhaps Spath 1 is a different cultivar? Toni

PS..Nice view. Toni

o

One does look a lot happier, dont it? Still very nice plants.

o

Two weeks is a long time to go without water.....
unless the mix stays wet for that long - in which case, two weeks is a long time for a mix to stay wet.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

Not necessarily so for a tropical & not in what I'd guess (from the look of the planters & the carpets) is a business or somewhat institutional setting. The plant folks often come alternate weeks from what I've observed.

o

Karen...Rona said she cares for the plants....
See below the picture.

But you're right..plant techs normally water large and small institutions. From malls to libraries. Number of times plants are tended to is decided between manager/owner and plant company.

Rentokil's number one bread an butter..They found they make more $, than selling retail plants. Toni

o

Karen,
two weeks is a long time for a plant to either go without water or to be left in a wet mix.
I was taking the two week figure directly from the OP. Notice also the comment that perhaps
someone watered in between, which would help the plant from becoming dehydrated, and possibly
explaining why one looks more perky/turgid than the other.

Josh

o

As far as I have been able to ascertain, they are both Spathiphyllum wallisii 'Domino'.
They are 2 out of 17 plants in the local library. All are in containers which themselves stand in plastic saucers to protect the carpet. By trial and error, I determined how much water to put on each plant so that in two weeks time they are all quite dry all the way to the bottom of the container. I always use a probe to determine this and sometimes I find the soil moisture quite different from what I expected.
I explain this as Mother Nature "batting last"...or teaching me a thing or two.
And the photograph was meant to illustrate this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here