Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Norfolk Island Pine Out During Freeze

Posted by shamr0cker none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:29

Hello! I am new here. My three-year-old Norfolk Island Pine was left outside for a few days during a freeze. This was not my doing, of course. Consequence of living with other people.

Attached is a picture of what it looks like. I guess it could be worse. But will it recover from this state? What do I need to do to help it? Any advice and suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

This post was edited by shamr0cker on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Norfolk Island Pine Out During Freeze

I don't see a photo, could you repost it?

Planto

o

Thanks! Photo posted. :)

o

Sadly i dont believe it can be saved. Maybe someone else will chime in with a thought on how it could be saved... but the top looks to have become mush.

o

Toss it. These are subtropical to begin with, but if it went from a warm home to cold, the plant was especially tender. They can only handle light frosts if acclimated, and yours was not.

o

Agree, toss it. Some people where I am plant them outside, and they do fine until we have a nasty freeze.

o

Problem is, the growing tip and the branches around it will die now, and it will look awful, if it survives at all.

o

Likely dead, but you never know, so give it a week or two and don't overwater it. Look at it this way, weeping conifers have their own appeal. lol And since conifers can suffer from "dead green standing" (think Christmas Trees) it may keep it's color for some time.

tj

o

In west central Florida, where I live, NIP's are everywhere outside. 2 winters ago we had several days where the days didn't get out of the 30's and the nights were below freezing, and the NIP's were barely damaged. The last time it got cold enough to affect them was in the mid 80's. That winter their limbs were killed back from the ends, so you have lots of them around with maybe half their length little short limbs, then above that long limbs again. Yours, of course, was in a pot, so the roots may have been damaged, but I wouldn't throw it out yet, see what it is able to do, it might surprise you. You can cut of pieces that are actually mushy or crispy - they are dead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here