Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got two new plants.........................

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 10:31

Found these at Walmart. Since I had to toss three plants this winter, I have room.

Curly fig (ficus pumila)
 photo CurlyFig-1.jpg

Lemon button fern (nephrolepis cordifolia)
 photo LemonButtonFern-1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got two new plants.........................

Those are nice looking!

o

Howdy,

Hi Elkay...I've seen green and variegated F. pumilas, but the colors on yours differ. Is it the light?

Button Ferns are so cute, but difficult indoors.

Hey Purple. Toni

o

I think most ferns are difficult indoors, but nice plants

Hey hopeful and purple

o

I agree, ferns, in general, are not easy houseplants for those with very arid/low humidity environments. In terraria, however, ferns, IME, quickly become "thugs" and will try to take over the entire terr.

o

They are so cute! I just got a small curly fig at Lowe's for 50c too, and divided it. So now I have two. I never had one before, so kinda looking forward to see how it grows. I have a Kimberly fern at home, and so far it's doing fine. They grow very fast :) Mine (again, $3 on Lowe's clearance) was HUGE and and grew out of the pot from the sides - so I had to divide it too. :) After a few months there was so much new growth, that I had to cut down all the old leaves to make space for the new ones.
Enjoy your plants. :)

o

Paul, yes, most ferns are fussy indoors. Leaves yellow, brown and drop everywhere.

However, I found thicker-leaf ferns are hardier.

Not the best photo, but I've had this fern many years. I spray daily, and give it a sink-bath once a month, but it's typically easy to care for.

Ferns

Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here