Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

just stringing your along..........

paul_
13 years ago

So how many feet of Senecio rowleyanus (aka 'string of pearls') would you estimate are here?

{{gwi:72890}}

Comments (9)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Paul, is this a quizz?? I love quizzes..

Are we allowed to ask questions?
    If so, are there any strings/stems over-lapping on top of the soil? lol

18"???

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I love this plant; so cute!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Rhizo, you forgot to guess the length. lol

Paul..I forgot to mention your macreme..It's really nice. Where did you find such a lovely hanger? Toni

• paul_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If so, are there any strings/stems over-lapping on top of the soil? lol

Most certainly are.

..I forgot to mention your macreme..It's really nice. Where did you find such a lovely hanger?

I though macreme only applied to woven items? Hmm, well it looks like I learned something new! My sis bought it for me one year as a Xmas present. Where she got it I have no idea.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

There are stems over-lapping..hey, that's cheating. lol

Actually macreme usually applies to woven items, but they also are made with sea-shells, 'I had a beautiful shell macrame, years ago,' string, beads and even wooden pieces/shapes.

Your macrame looks nice and sturdy. A sitting plant should fit w/o wiggling this a way and that a way..lol. Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I'm going to guess ten feet here, too ;-)

Josh

• paul_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, the thought of measuring the strands didn't occur to me until I was almost through coiling it up. This is an OLD picture from about 4yrs ago

{{gwi:72892}}

If I recall correctly I did some coiling of the strands shortly after that.

In any event, the strands at this present time were almost 6ft long (bit under 2m). I estimate that there is probably well over 110ft (33m +) of plant there now. All of this in a pot approximately 1 inch deep x 3 inches wide x 4 inches long hidden in the basket.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Interesting arrangement Paul. I like the juxtaposition of the orchid bloom & the strings of beads, very nice. The wooden basket is a nice complement to the whole thing.

Toni, not sure what you think you're seeing. I see a basket of wooden slats on rope, or heavy cord I guess. It's not macrame, as technically speaking, macrame is characterized by knots, in whatever kind or rope or cordage.

I did a lot of it as a teenager; even made a nice handbag of it for myself.

I would have guessed the plant a couple of 3-4 feet at least. I grow several pots of Ceropegia woodii (string of hearts), which I wind around the pot itself to keep somewhat controlled. Similar idea, mutiple long lengths.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Paul, is that a Ludisia Orchid on the desk? If so, is it the darkest leaf type? Not medium purple, but a dark purple that's almost black?

Karen. The top, the part that's is holding the basket, looks like it's weaved or fine knots. Toni