Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Hydroton..

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Last night I spent an hour looking for Hydroton.

Does anyone know if Hydroton is a brand name?

Size. I discovered clay balls come in different sizes, don't know which size to purchase.

Does anyone know the appropriate size for, let's say a 2" pot?

I'd like to experiment using straight Hydroton without other mediums on a couple plants, AND in my regular mix for drainage.

Do clay balls change soil pH?

Thanks, Toni

Comments (11)

• paul_
    10 years ago

Hydroton is indeed a brand name, Toni. If I recall correctly, that company has gone out of business. However, there are many other brands of the puffed clay aggregate around and generally aren't too terribly hard to find. I have no idea if any of the BBS carry such, but check for a hydroponics store in your area. You will most certainly be able to get some from them. If you need to have some shipped, get back to me and I will give you the name of a guy in Ohio who I know sells it.

I don't know that I have ever seen it sold in bags of a particular sized pellet. The bags I have seen (admittedly it has been a LONG time since I last needed to get a bag -- still working on the bag that I have) have always had a mix of different sized pellets -- usually from 1/4 -1/2 an inch in diameter.

How you plan on using it could make a difference, I suppose, as to what size pellets might be ideal. I do know that for hydroponic or semi-hydro, the mixed sizes does not hurt anything. If you are planning on doing hydroponics with that 2" pot (and therefore only the puffed clay), then I would suggest picking out the largest chunks and only using the small to medium sized pieces.

As far as acidity concerns, it is an inert material so should not be an issue. You should still rinse the pebbles off before using them -- as with any bag of rocklike substance, there can be a fair amount of dust in the bag and -- by extension -- coating the pellets.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Paul, and thank you.

I looked for Hydroton on Ebay and Amazon.

Sellers on both sites have different size bags, 'free shipping,' available.
    Size of clay balls varies..1mm to 6mm.
    Even after converting, I'm unsure the size I need.

A few sellers got 5-stars, but others had 1-2. Consumers complained bagged clay balls had green growth, like it'd been used, when it's marked new.

Paul, if you have time, please check Amazon..Type hydroton.

No, I don't plan on using for hydroponics, not really. I thought I'd pot a few succulents, 'experiment' in straight Hydroton, but wanted to add smaller balls to mix for drainage purposes.

BTW, I wish there were more nurseries in the area, but there isn't. I checked two Home Depots and Menard's, without luck. No nearby Lowes.

Do you know if baked clay balls lower or increase pH? Thanks so much, Toni

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

there are a lot of detailed posts about hydroton and ph in hydroponics forum. perhaps you should cross post there

Here is a link that might be useful: e.g. hydroton and PH

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Toni. There are at least three hydroponics store in our area. When I get home I'll post them. Each has some version of expanded clay aggregate.
    Danny

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Toni, I know you don't care for coming into the city much but these three are here. Brew and Grow in the west loop would be easy for you to get to but there is also one in Roselle which may be easier for you. Both the other two are right off the Kennedy Expressway (I90/94). Urban Grower is on north ave and Chicago Roots is on Irving park.

Brew & Grow - http://www.brewandgrow.com/retail-locations

Chicago Roots Hydroponics and Organics - http://chicago-roots.gardeningunlimited.com/

Urban Grower - http://www.urbangrowerchicago.com/

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Pet, thanks for the link..in the thread, there's a lot of debate about Hydroton. Don't think anyone agrees. lol.

Thanks Danny. Actually, I bought a small bag online, :)

My sister and brother live in the city. Hopefully, if everything goes well, I'll be visiting..Well, as soon/if temp cooperates.

The loop is out...can you imagine me hauling a 10lb bag on the train..Don't think there's parking downtown, is there? So, I'd have to take Metra. I think???

I'll find the addresses. Thanks for the links danny. Perhaps one of the nurseries aren't too far away.
    I've heard of Roselle, but not sure of its direction. lol

Thanks, Toni

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

The west loop location has a parking lot. Easy to get to from west suburbia.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Toni,

I've been experimenting last few months with hydroton and I really like it. I have one Hoya I put in straight s/h and then like you said I added clay balls to my bark and soil mixture for plants. Hoyas love it. I even sprinkle the top layer of pots dirt with smaller balls. I've been rooting some cuttings in an old aquarium. I've seen little roots surround the balls on the top layer. The roots love growing around them!!

Keep us posted on new ideas!

Teisa

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Danny, I've been know to get lost coming home from the grocery store..Believe me. lol.

Teisa. Has the soil pH changed?
    I've read comments on different sites..Some people say Hydroton causes pH to decrease, others say it increases.
    lol.

Are you watering your Hoya more or about the same?

I'm glad to hear your Hoya loves the balls..As long as plants are happy, we're happy...

Finding a perfect medium is difficult..especially when rooms are chilly. This winter has been the worse ever.
    Way too cold and the air is extremely dry. One day 11%.

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

I would encourage you to experiment with potting a plant in pure hydroton. You don't have to water as much if you give the plant a big water reservoir.

For my peace lily that I am now growing in hydroton, I keep the pot in a clean plastic Cool Whip container filled with a solution of Dyna Gro at all times. When I water it, I rinse the pot out with pure water at the sink to remove any build up on the hydroton stones and then refill the Cool Whip container with the Dyna Gro. Since the Cool Whip container holds a lot more water than the pot ever did when I grew it in soil, I don't have to water nearly as often, and the peace lily never droops from thirst.

If you have a spider plant baby, I would suggest trying to grow it in pure hydroton. Spider plants seem to do really well in this type of set up, and a spider plant baby is very easy to replace if it doesn't go well.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I use mostly crushed lava rock for orchids and some succulents.. Main problem with it is the weight. so I fill the bottom half with styrofoam. Cost about a third of hydroton .
    Another product is called Stalite which is expanded slate
    very light BUT is considerably more expensive than lava.
    i have used hydroton but feel I get the same results with lava. Maybe for such small pots you could use some type of gravel Endless supply of sizes and grades You can get all kinds at aquarium stores most of which is stabilized for pH . Have not found that to be a problem with the types I've used gary