Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

AnyBody Still Got Their Poinsettia 09

ninecrow
15 years ago

Draven in my Snowy Window Feb 09, He's 6 Years Old now...

{{gwi:72975}}

The Top Veiw

{{gwi:72976}}

Anybody Else???????

Comments (102)

• lizanne1
    15 years ago

I am a newbie at poinsettia regrowing. I have never tried it. However, last Christmas I got this beautiful large Ecke Burgandy and thought that I would check the gardenweb. Was I in for a surprise? I would like to commend all of you, for your beautiful points. I would especially like to thank ninecrow and Draven. I have never been so inspired, and informed on poinsettias. This has been such an education and I am so grateful for all the information. I have two red ones also from Christmas '08 and thanks to ninecrow and all the rest of you, they are still alive. I am so movtivated to keep them going. Ninecrow, you are such an inspiration. Thank you so very much. Now, I have a question, how do I go about uploading pictures to this forum? Thanks in advance.

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Hi point lvrs! Nine, you don't have far to go, mine I think took about a month from the green stage. Good luck lizanne1, glad you joined in the fun!!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Lizanne, Welcome and good luck with your Poinsettia!!

I attached a link below on how to post pictures...someone from the Fl Forum was nice enough to explain in great detail how to post pictures here...HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Photo Posting Instructions

• lizanne1
    15 years ago

Thank you, Beetle and Puglvr. I remember seeing both your white and red points, together with your cute little pug, back in December. I hope that I will be as successful as all of you. Thanks also for the link.

• lizanne1
    15 years ago

Beetle, I forgot to mention your extraordinary poinsettia, with the ruffles. Ninecrow called it "carousel red" It is the most beautiful one that I have seen, ever. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Thanks so much lizanne!! Unfortunately, that beauty [carousol red, kicked the bucket after it lost its leaves. I still don't understand why certain types make it, and others don't. My Marble Star, is holding all her bracts and leaves, so maybe there is hope!
    Would love to see pics of your Ecke Burgandy, sounds Lovely
    Happy growing, Fiona

• lizanne1
    15 years ago

Beetle, I'm so sorry about Carousel. It created such a wonderful impression on me, that I promised myself, that if I could keep these going, just living and not even reflowering, I would get one. Of course, I will try to get them to bloom again, if I am lucky enough to make them live. With all the help on this forum, I should be able to make it. I did not see your Marble Star. It sounds exotic. I will go back and check. As far as posting pictures, I must muster up some courage, even though puglvr sent me a great link.

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Hi lizanne, I didn't post a proper pic of MS, but if you scrool up on this page, the bracts are here.

• lizanne1
    15 years ago

Thanks Beetle, I did see it. Although the picture is not large I could see the marbling. Nice plant. I finally got my pictures uploaded to Photobucket. I am having a problem attaching it to this message. I'll try again.

• catenqo4o
    15 years ago

I saved two poinsettas from church, and they are doing great. I am a poinsetta virgin, and I have a few questions. I have seed pods on both of them, what should I do with them? I am gifted with a rather green thumb, so growing is not a problem. How much do I prune back? When do I prune? They both are still very colourful. I live just outside of phoenix, az. (sorry I don't know what zone that is. Thank you for your help.

• koicool1
    15 years ago

Isn't it getting to be poinsettia pruning time? It is nearly St. Patrick's Day. What are you doing nine and other point growers? Do you root prune too when you repot them?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Yup, I pruned mine down by half last weekend.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Normaly I would have Cut back by now, but as I have seed Pods Growing.....

• koicool1
    15 years ago

ok. so when do you guys repot and what size do you go to? Mine are both in 6 inch. (12 cm) pots right now, and look like they need more space.

• koicool1
    15 years ago

My points had the beginnings of a seed pod and green leaves too, but I decided I didn't want them to put energy to seed production when they could be storing up for next year's display.
    I just finished pruning mine back quite hard (seed pods and all.) I have pruned one to eight inches (20 cm) before, but it was too tall. so I bravely and/or stupidly cut my two points down to five inches (12-13 cm) and the other just under four inches (10 cm.) Not that I can do anything about it now, but is this too drastic of a pruning? I know Nine has really whacked draven back before (pretty much as harshly has I have just done), but it was quite a bit later in the season too.

Tommyr- why do you cut yours by half? Do you do a follow up pruning and why? Is it too early to prune back fully?

Correction on the above post of mine-
    I meant to say a 15 cm pot not a 12.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

It's just what I have always done to keep them more small and compact. You could do a second pruning in July as well but I usually just do a March cut back. Right now I only have one point., I have over 21 orchids, lots of carnivorous plants as well as other houseplants. I have way too many! Last count over 65 IN the house. Can't wait to move most of them out in May.

• labeano2002
    15 years ago

Our department received one from the Captain overseeing our department - and I've been taking care of her - I've been reading about poinsettia care and it looks like I should be trimming her back soon? I still have red leaves on top (though very sparse now) - should I actually cut the stems to cut it back to 8 inches? she tops out at 12 inches. I don't want to make any cuts if they aren't really needed.
    She's still in the pot that she came in at Christmas time - I had also read that I shouldn't repot her until June - which is my plan. Any tips anyone can give me? I really want to try to bring this one back for the holidays. Everyone else in our building that received one has managed to let theirs die.

• koicool1
    15 years ago

I chopped my two back quite savagely a week ago. The tallest one after I cut it back was only 4 inches. Now, they are both starting to regrow. Prune them now, then water well and don't do it again until it is dry and starting to regrow. I was amazed at how fast mine is regrowing already. Just a few days ago in my posts I was wondering if it was too drastic-- it wasn't. They are hardy little plants.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:72636}}

This is How far I cut Draven Back last year....
    Dunno about this Year... He's Busy Growing Seed Pods...

• koicool1
    15 years ago

Do you have him in a 15 cm pot? Do you find you have to root prune when you transplant him to keep him from root binding himself? I would be inclined to root prune if it were me. what does anyone else do?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

7& Half Inch Pot at the Mo, Which is about 19cm's... Yes I do Root Purne, I usally do it when I do the Cut Back... Hope that Helps
    NC

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've just Cut Back Draven...

• supermom7
    15 years ago

I don't have a point but I find this thread fascinating . . . what do you do with the trimmings when you prune them back? Do you make new plants with them or just throw them out? As a member of euphorbs couldn't you start new plants?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Draven is growing New Shoots... ***WHOOHOOT***
    Quite a Lot by the looks of it.
    Will now have to do some Hard Thinking on which ones to leave and Which one to rub
    off... *Sigh*

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Supermom,
    You CAN start new plants with the prunings. Take 3-4 inch cuttings and stick in moist potting MIX.

Easy peasy as they say!

• jordan_californicus
    15 years ago

My mother, of all people (the green thumb skipped a generation, and I'm only 22 and have finally realized this after many a Mother's Day and birthday gift gone brown), still has her poinsettia. But not only it is still doing fine, in the same pot it came with from my work, in the same foil wrapper (finally convinced her to at least take if off when she waters and drains it). To make matters odder, this poinsettia was one of the last ones we had at work on Christmas Eve, and they basically give one to every employee, and I took this one home for my mom because I didn't have the need for one at my house.

I smile inside when I see that thing still kicking. Even when there's a small pile of now empty pots on her porch that formerly held so nicely planted things.

• koicool1
    15 years ago

After the harsh cutback a little over a month ago my points have revived and are growing well.

This is my new red point with a pink one newly acquired this last christmas.

{{gwi:72984}}

Close up of the red one

{{gwi:72985}}

close up of the pink

{{gwi:72986}}

This is my last and oldest point at the end of this last summer. He was too big to put a box over and got an early prune back. He is not doing as well as last year. This was him in his "glory days."

{{gwi:72987}}

How's everyone else doing with their points?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looking GOOD koicool1

Draven got a Treat today, Did a water Change on my Fish Tank and he go the Water from That.... LOTS of Fish Doo To fertilize him....

How Old is the Big one and what Colour is She/He?
    Thanks

• koicool1
    14 years ago

Thank you ninecrow.

This is year two for the big point christmas of '07. That was him at the end of this last august. He is a common red type. He was too big to do the blooming thing by the end of september. I had to cut him back early this year. I cut him to eight inches as per directions of many websites, but now he is bare underneath and not looking so good. Could I prune him again shorter? Too late? Too much stess on the plant if I did? What do you think?

Here he is as of today, a mere shadow of what he once was.

{{gwi:72988}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Draven is Still Alive and Growing.... Photos to follow (Need to Charge the Batteries...)
    Please Post an update on how all of yours are doing
    Thanks all

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

My little one is fine so far. Have to take a photo for this thread. Nothing spectacular.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any Updates Guys??????
    Thanks

• gardengal28
    14 years ago

I still have mine, but it is all green. I don't have the time to switch it from light to dark, but maybe some day I will be able to, lol.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How Old is Yours gardengal and what Colour is He/She?
    Thanks

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Mine's growing fine. Looks healthy. Sitting in a west window.
    Got to take a picture of it.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Had to do a bit of Corrective Purning on Draven.... So He looks a bit Sorry for Himself, He is Growing New shoots now though so Hopefully He'll be OK....

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I've just done a Root Trim and Repot... Should of been done a while ago, compost was HORRID!!!! Poor Draven
    Photos to Follow

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm sure he'll do fine! My little point is doing fine.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Update time. Here's a new pic of my Point.

{{gwi:72989}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looking GOOD Tommy...
    Draven's Not looking as Good as Yours for Some Reason... Perhaps the Root Prune and Repot should of been done when he was 1st cut back... *Sigh*

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

ninecrow! You better post images of Draven pronto! We all feel like he's a nephew or something. Perhaps we can help to get him back in good condition.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See.....

{{gwi:72990}}

NOT a Happy Bunny!!!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Hmmmm, too wet? I let mine dry out a bit before watering...

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe...

***Sat, Jul 18, 09. Well, I've just done a Root Trim and Repot... Should of been done a while ago, compost was HORRID!!!! Poor Draven
    Photos to Follow***

Was hoping to see some improvement by now... *Sigh*

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Hmmm, one thing I am going to try soon is Seaweed extract. It's supposed to be awesome for plants. Lots of trace elements and root stimulation they say.
    Check this out then Google it as well!

http://www.ghorganics.com/page33.html

• beetle_2007
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I have three reds, that I just brought in from thier summer vacation. Had to spray them down, and I'm still on the alert for more stickys, but they are doing all right :-))

{{gwi:72991}}

{{gwi:72992}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Which Reds do you have again???? Looking Better than Poor Draven that's for Sure....

***WOOT***
    100th post

• beetle_2007
    14 years ago

Hi Nine, Two of them are cortez burgandys, and the little third one is a real bright red [not sure of the name] I lost the gorgeous marble star this spring when it was pruned back :( Thats two kind of fancy ones![the ruffled didnt make it either. Think I'll stick to the tried and true reds lol!
    don't worry, I'm sure your Draven will pick up growth soon :) then the darkening process begins yippee!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Cortez burgandy is still going too....
    I'll post photos of him later