Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
price of aloe veras at walmart?

Posted by Cupcake_Girl nj (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 11:19

Hi I recently discovered all the wonderful health benefits of aloe veras. I recieved one from a friend but it is only a small pup. In the mean time I'd like a larger one to consume. Do anyone know how much they sell at walmart? That is the closest store near me. Thank you so much! I'm new and hope to meet knew friends and learn more :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: price of aloe veras at walmart?

Hi and Welcome, Cupcake,

All Walmart's differ. Some Walmart's sell Aloes, some do not.

Our closest Walmart doesn't sell as many plants as they did before remodeling...
When they did, prices ran according to pot size.
One year they had tiny Aloe's, 'basically pups' for 1.25.

Do you live near a Home Depot? Last week they had 4" Aloes for 4.99. Toni

Good luck, Toni

o

I do live near Home Depot but they charge 10$ for the 4" aloes :(

o

Hi Cupcake, I have a bunch of Aloes. Will send for the price of postage. How many do you want?

o

Hi Cupcake,

I thought you wrote 'to consume', really? Not sure, but if you plan on EATING it, I wouldn't use one which wasn't by a nursery, w/ a definite id. Still, not thinking this is a great idea.

o

Cupcake, 10.00!!!??? That's absurd.
Perhaps they'll go on sale? Sometimes, when plants sit, prices are reduced.

Unless you can find an Aloe that fits your budget, maybe you should stick with the pup your friend gave you.

With proper care, lots of light, before you know it, you'll have a good-size Aloe.

Or, Larry made you a great offer. Depending on the amount/weight, shipping costs are more reaasonable than spending 10+ at HD.

Aside from using Aloe for burns what other health benefits does it have? Toni

o

Aloe has many health benefits. Google it. You can drink it, eat it, rub it on. But, there is only one that you can use like that. And it is the most common of all. A friend use to sell it by the gallon to drink. I never drank it. Never thought I needed it. But there are people who sware by it.

o

Be careful with consumption of Aloe. There is some info out there that suggests it could have health risks. If you know about that and you're ok with the risk that's fine, but I wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Here's what the American Cancer Society says about it:

The use of aloe on the skin for the relief of minor cuts and burns appears to be safe. Some people who have used aloe gel on their skin for long periods of time have had allergic reactions such as hives and rashes. Those who are allergic to garlic, onions, tulips, and similar plants may be more likely to have an allergic reaction to aloe.

There are mixed reports about the safety of taking aloe internally. Part of the confusion is that safety outcomes may be different depending on whether a person took pure aloe gel, aloe latex, or used aloe leaves that contained both gel and latex. Not all reports single out which type of aloe preparation was used, so this information is limited.

One report suggested that aloe taken by mouth might increase cancer risk to humans. Side effects of taking aloe by mouth may include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and electrolyte (chemical) imbalance in the blood, especially at high doses. It should not be used as a laxative. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take aloe by mouth.

Doctors around the world have reported a few cases of hepatitis (liver inflammation) in people who had taken aloe by mouth for a few weeks or longer. Some of these people had to be hospitalized, but no deaths were reported. Aloe injections are illegal in the United States, and may have caused or contributed to the deaths of several people with cancer. Taking aloe by mouth may cause dangerous interactions with prescription drugs and with other herbal supplements.

Relying on this type of treatment alone and avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Cancer Society's page on aloe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here